Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

I have a hard OBD code of P0753 and P1765. What does this mean

Customer Question

I have a hard OBD code of P0753 and P1765. What does this mean? How can I fix the problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Fault code P0753 is a fault code that sets when there is a problem with the o/d solenoid or circuit.

P1765 fault code does not apply to your transmission. You have a 46re trans and this code is only for a 45rfe transmission. Are you sure it was P1765?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was told by AAMCO that the p0753 is a shift change solenoid/3-4 trans solenoid. the p01765 is the other code. Sorry for the mix up. How can I fix the problems?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

P0753 is usually caused by a faulty o/d solenoid. The part number for the solenoid is 52118500AB.

This could also be caused by a wiring problem or PCM but it is not coomon. I would pull the pan off and check the resistance of the o/d solenoid and the tcc solenoid. The resistance should be around the 33 ohm mark on both. If you find the o/d solenoid reading is way off, then it will need one. The o/d and tcc solenoid are combined in one unit.

I would find out for sure what the other code was because it could be a governor code and when the pan is off you can deal with that also. P1765 doesn't apply to your truck and I would get them to scan it again for the correct code. Let me know, thanks! Richard

Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Richard: Would it be in my best interest just to change the solenoid out with new? The other OBD code is P01765. Atleast that is what the quote from AAMCO is saying. Does that code sound right and if so can I fix it myself/how?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

P01765 does not apply to you truck. I would get them to double check that before doing any repairs, then I can suggest what to do next. You could also try this, turn the key

ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON within 5 seconds and watch the digital odometer and let me know what it says ans when it is done displaying codes it will display done.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The quote descrption is saying trans volt relay curuit open/ short
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

That description fits the description for fault code P0753.

Do you have a test light and are able to test a few things for me?

Could you try the key cycle procedure and see what comes up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah. You are right. The P0753 code is the only that came up. So, should I just change out the solenoid?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

First of all I need to know if it shifts ok! Does it start out in first gear and shift to second and third? Or does it only have third gear and reverse? If it only has third gear it will seem like it is lacking power.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was told by AAMCO that it is a safe mode were it starts off in third gear. Which makes sense as there seems to me to be a loss in power. Slow to get to speed, not the same horsepower that it had when I bought it. I did a tune up rotor cap, wires, plugs, ect., but still not much of an improvement. I do have reverse gear.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks for that info. Don't replace the solenoid yet. We need to do some simple testing if you have a volt meter or a test light. I will help you test this if you could.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do you have in mind?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

When the PCM sees a problem with the o/d solenoid circuit that could harm the transmission it turns off the relay that sends power to the transmission. This fault code could also be caused by the relay not being powered up. We need to remove the transmission relay in the power distribution center beside the battery. When you pull the cover off it will show you where the relay is located. Pull it out and check for power in the center on terminal 87 & 30. One should have power. Then start the truck and check for power on 85 & 86. One should have power. Here is a diagram that shows two different types of relays use the one that is the same as the one you pulled out.

If you have power to two terminals swap the relay with another relay like the horn or something and see if the trans shifts after. Let me know! Thanks, Richard

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Richard: Thank you so much for all of your help and advice. I will try this. Is there a way I can get ahold of you in the future if I need further help?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Just reply back to this thread and I will get back to you asap. I will be glad to help anyway I can. Thankyou, Richard