quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years chrysler
17227360

How to change heater core in 1998 durango

Customer Question

how to change heater core in 1998 durango
Category: Dodge
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

hello, in order to change the heater core you will need to remove the dash to get access to remove here is the procedure from the service manual to remove the dash. once the dash is remove youll have to evacuate the a/c,remove the a/c lines at the firewall, heater hoses at the firewall then the retaining nuts securing the housing to the firewall, once the hvac housing is removed remove the screws secure the two halfs of the housing together then separate and remove and replace the heater core.

INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
  2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  3. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry along the edges of the right and left front door sill trim to release the clips that secure it to the sill Cowl Side Trim Remove/Install Carefully disengage the ends of the sill trim from the inner cowl side trim panel at the front, and from the lower B-pillar trim at the rear, then remove the sill trim from the sill
  4. Remove the screw that secures the rear tab on the inner cowl side trim panel to the sill.
  5. Grasp the forward edge of the trim panel and pull it inboard far enough to disengage the clip that secures it to the cowl side.
  6. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the inner cowl side trim panel to release the clip that secures it to the A-pillar trim and the front door hinge pillar.
  7. Remove the steering column opening cover and knee blocker from the instrument panel. See Steering Column Opening Cover and Knee Blocker in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
  8. Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement and lower the release handle to the floor.
  9. Unplug the driver side airbag module wire harness connector at the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  10. If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the tilt steering column lever.
  11. Remove both the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column Steering Column Shrouds Remove/Install - Typical
  12. Remove the lower fixed column shroud.
  13. Move the upper fixed column shroud far enough to access the rear of the multi-function switch Multi-Function Switch Connector - Typical
  14. Remove the tamper proof mounting screws (a Snap On tamper proof torx bit TTXR20B2 or equivalent is required) that secure the multi-function switch to the steering column.
  15. Gently pull the switch away from the steering column far enough to access and loosen the multi-function switch wire harness connector screw. The screw will remain in the wire harness connector.
  16. Unplug the wire harness connector from the multi-function switch.
  17. Unplug the remaining steering column wire harness connectors Steering Column Connectors - Typical
  18. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the overdrive lockout switch wire harness connector near the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  19. Remove the steering column from the vehicle. Refer to Steering for the procedures.
  20. Remove the screw from the center of the bulkhead wire harness connector and unplug the connector.
  21. Unplug the two body wire harness connectors located next to the bulkhead wire harness connector.
  22. Unplug the three wire harness connectors located closest to the dash panel from the junction block.
  23. Reach under the driver side outboard end of the instrument panel to access and unsnap the plastic retainer clip from the park brake release linkage rod at the back of the park brake release handle.
  24. Disengage the park brake release linkage rod end from the back of the park brake release handle.
  25. Unplug the wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch.
  26. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the wire harness connector from the Rear Wheel Anti-Lock (RWAL) brake module located on the inboard side of the pedal and steering column support brackets.
  27. Unplug the vacuum harness connector located near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
  28. Remove the center support bracket from the instrument panel. See Instrument Panel Center Support Bracket in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
  29. Remove the screw that secures the wire harness ground eyelets to the left side of the Airbag Control Module (ACM) bracket on the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  30. Unplug the wire harness connector from the ACM.
  31. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel. See Glove Box in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
  32. Reach through the instrument panel glove box opening to unplug the antenna coaxial cable connector.
  33. Release the antenna half of the coaxial cable from the retainer clip near the lower outboard side of the instrument panel glove box opening.
  34. Reach through and above the instrument panel glove box opening to access and unplug the blower motor wire harness connector located near the heater-A/C support brace.
  35. If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the two wire harness connectors from the Infinity speaker amplifier on the right cowl side inner panel.
  36. Remove the nut that secures the radio ground wire harness eyelet to the stud on the right cowl side inner panel.
  37. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about 6 mm (0.25 inch) Instrument Panel Assembly Remove/Install
  38. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  39. Pull the lower instrument panel outwards until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets Roll-Down Bracket
  40. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of the dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 46 cm (18 inches) from the dash panel.
  41. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position:
    1. Unplug the two door jumper wire harness connectors located on a bracket near the right end of the instrument panel.
    2. Unplug the wire harness connector at the blower motor resistor.
    3. Disconnect the temperature control cable flag retainer from the top of the heater-A/C housing and pull the cable core adjuster clip off of the blend-air door lever.
    4. Disconnect the demister duct flexible hose from the adapter on the top of the heater-A/C housing.
  42. With the aid of an assistant, remove the temporary hook and lift the instrument panel assembly off of the roll-down bracket screws and remove it from the vehicle.
  43. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting hardware as follows:
    • Instrument panel top to dash panel screws - 3 N·m (28 in. lbs.)
    • Instrument panel roll-down screws - 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
    • Inner cowl side trim panel mounting screw - 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)