Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Experience:  Automotive instructor at Porter and Chester institute
14457476

A vibration at 45-50 mph from I believe the rear of the van..tires

Customer Question

I'm getting a vibration at 45-50 mph from I believe the rear of the van. I recently had the tires balanced but that did not slove the problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 7 years ago.
is it all weel drive or 2 wheels?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Front wheel drive.
ok there is a tsb with a number of possible fixes to the vibrations dodge is having with their vans it appears like they are having problems with this .the first one is tires wish you all ready did and i am sure the balance also , the other is the rear hubs may be out of round and you may need to have a run out test done by a repair shop will you like me to send it to you no additional cost to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure what your are asking. Are you saying I need to have a run test done by a repair shop? What do you want to send to me at no additional cost?
ok (TSB), technical service bulleting, is what dodge calls the new quick fix of a problem they are seeing on their vehicles as they notice costumers complain and what is on the tsb is suppose to fix the problem on your van, i want to send you the repair procedure but you need to have this done by a repair shop unless you can do it then very good, here is the tsb, and i will send you the repair procedure when you tell me if you want it, its a couple of pages and will require for you to print it or copy to your
.
Notes

NUMBER: 22-03-99

GROUP: Wheels & Tires

DATE: April 23, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 22-02-94 REV. A, DATED OCT. 21, 1994, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE 1994 SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO.81-699-95054). THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO **ASTERISKS** ARE USED TO HIGHLIGHT THE CHANGES.

SUBJECT:
Smooth Road Vibration/Shake/Wobble

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves diagnosis and correction information for vehicles with a smooth road high-speed vibration or shake condition.

Low-speed
Lateral wobble of the body and/or steering wheel at speeds less than 35 mph (56 kph) is addressed by TSB 22-02-99.

Mid-speed
Steering wheel/seat cyclic vibration (33-35 mph (53-56 kph)) on vehicles equipped with 3.0L engine and 31TH transaxle is addressed by TSB 19-04-97.

High-speed
Vibration is characterized by vibration in the seat, floor, instrument panel, and/or steering wheel at speeds greater than 60 mph (97 kph).

MODELS:
1992 - 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1993 - 1995 (ES) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1996 - 1999 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1996 - 1999 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

Tire & Wheel Runout Gauge (PSE # XXXXX or equivalent recommended)
Off Car Tire & Wheel Balancer (PSE # XXXXX or equivalent recommended)
On Car Tire & Wheel Balancer (Hoffman Finishbalancer or equivalent recommended)
Dial Indicator
2-3 In. Micrometer
Dial Caliper

POLICY: Information Only

files.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please send the repair procedure. Thanks. I will be steping out for a bit.
ok here it goes.
Notes

Visual Inspection of the vehicle is recommended prior to the initial test drive. Put the vehicle on a hoist and inspect the following items:

VISUAL INSPECTION

Test Drive the vehicle, in the as received condition, at the complaint speed on a smooth road surface with all accessories turned off. Correct any obvious safety related items identified during the Visual Inspection prior to the Test Drive. It is essential to the diagnosis that the repair facility has identified a smooth road and uses it for the entire diagnosis. A smooth surface will reduce the vehicle response to road inputs and allow the diagnosis to concentrate on the rotating components. If the vibration condition has been corrected due to replacement of component(s) return the vehicle to the customer. If the vibration problem is still present make the following checks:

^If the vibration changes as you coast in neutral, the problem may be with the driveline, refer to the Service Manual.

^If the vibration does not change while coasting then the problem may be caused by tires, wheels or suspension.

^If the vibration increases with increasing vehicle speed, the problem may be with imbalance of rotating components (tires, wheels, half shafts, drums or rotors).

^If the vibration decreases with increasing vehicle speed, the problem may be with tire/wheel assembly run out.

^If the vibration is a low-speed lateral wobble of the body and/or steering wheel oscillations at speeds less than 45 mph (72 kph), the problem may be caused by lateral run out of the tire/wheel assembly.

^If the vibration is a mid-speed vibration and is characterized by vibration in the seat, floor, and/or steering wheel at speeds between 35-45 mph (56-72 kph); the problem may be caused by high 2nd order tire/wheel assembly excitation. If torque sensitive, the problem may be driveline related, refer to the Service Manual.

^If the vibration is a high-speed vibration and is characterized by vibration in the seat, floor, instrument panel, and/or steering wheel at speeds greater than 60 mph (97 kph); the problem may be caused by high 1st order tire/wheel assembly excitation.

ON CAR TIRE/WHEEL ASSEMBLY RUNOUT

After your initial Test Drive, correct any deficiencies that the initial Visual Inspection identified. Test Drive the vehicle, if the vibration condition has been corrected due to replacement of component(s) return the vehicle to the customer. If the vibration is still present and it was determined that the vibration is not driveline related proceed to the On Car Tire/Wheel Assembly Runout procedure.

Tire/Wheel Match Mounting is a technique used to reduce radial runout of the tire and wheel assemblies. Excessive runout is a source of ride complaints and Match Mounting is a method of reducing runout.

TIRE/WHEEL MATCH MOUNTING

WHEEL RUNOUT

WHEEL BORE PILOT DIAMETERS

HUB WHEEL PILOT DIAMETER

HUB WHEEL PILOT RUNOUT

WHEEL MOUNTING SURFACE LATERAL RUNOUT

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use