Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

HOW DO I DISARM THE ALARM ON MY 97 DODGE CARAVAN

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

The only way to disarm the alarm system is with the RKE transmitter or cycling the key in the drivers, passenger or liftgate key cylinder. If this does not work you will have to get a scanner put on to see if the body control module is locked up. The body control module is what controls your security system.

Note: this only applies to a vehicle equiped with a factory security system and if you have an aftermarket one you will need to find out what kind and contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting. I hope this helps, let me know! Thanks, Richard

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DO YOU HAVE A DIAGRAM OF THE AREA I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
What diagram are you looking for? There won't be a wiring issue if the some of the body control module functions are working like the wipers, power door locks, etc. The BCM controls those functions. Let me know, thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NOTHING IS WORKING. I AM A 70 YR OLD WOMAN AND I NEED TO KNOW HOW OR WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR TO GET THIS FIXED.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
What do you mean nothing is working? Is your battery dead? Do you have headlights?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i AM SORRY, YES THE LIGHTS WORK AND THE BATTERY IS NOT DEAD.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
What is the problem with your van? Does it start and stall? Does the starter crank the engine over but just not start? What makes you think the security system is causing problems. I will need a few more details! Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I BUMPED THE KEY PAD FOR THE ALARM AND IT BEEPED. i UNLOCKED THE CAR DOOR AND THE ALARM WENT OFF AND I COULD NOT SHUT IT OFF THE THE KEY PAD. MY SON REPLACED THE BATTERY THINKING THE BATTERY WAS DEAD. BUT NOTHING WOULD SHUT OFF THE ALARM WITH OUT UNHOOKING THE BATTERY CABLE ON THE VAN. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DISARM IT SO THAT I CAN START THE CAR AND DRIVE THE CAR, BECAUSE AS OF NOW I CAN START THE CAR. WHEN THE BATTERY CABLE IS HOOKED UP THE HORN GOES OFF. AND THE CAR WILL NOT START. IS THERE A DIAGRAM TO TELL ME WHERE THE CUT OFF IS TO THE ALARM.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

There is no diagram to send. It is all controlled internaly within the BCM. There is no "cut off".

If your key can't disarm the security system by unlocking any of the doors than there is a problem with the BCM.