moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

2001 Dodge: ton..pickup..a Cummins Diesel..mechanical

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup with a Cummins Diesel about 130000 miles. It has run good but just recently we are having fuel problems. Just so you know a little about me I am a farmer and have reasonable mechanical apptitude.
1st time truck started running rough and then died had it towed to our dealer they replaced the fuel filter and it ran good for awhile. Couple hundred miles later same thing had to have it towed mechanic replaced filter ran about 150 miles same thing. Replaced filter myself this time. Filter looked clean. Ran about 10 miles and quit. I worked the lever on the filter resevoir and released a vacuum in the filter resevoir and we could not get the lift pump to refill the resevoir. I assumed we had a bad lift pump and replaced that but continue to have the same problem.
Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Is the pump not pumping fuel to the fuel filter now?
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is. I was wondering about a electrical connection causing it to be intermitent.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
So have fuel at the filter now? have you loosen some of the injector lines to see if you are getting fuel to the injectors?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I have and do have the engine running, just a little concerned about for how long.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Have you had this problem again after you replaced the fuel pump in the tank? Did you do the transfer pump relocation or was it already in the tank when you bought it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes have had the problem after replaced the pump within 20 miles. When it first started running rough (after replacing the pump), we kind of babied it and got it home. Then when I knew there was at home who could come get me if it acted up I took it out and pushed it floored it and ran had to stop at a couple of stop signs but about a mile and a half from home it quit. I opened the valve on the resevoir and once again had a vacuum, took out the filter and fuel level was low in the resevoir. Cycled the pump and it pumped fuel to the resevoir. I don't know how fast that should pump maybe it slow or obstruction in line, I would that is not very likely.
What are the two electrical connections on the filter resevoir? Is one of them sensor?
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Did you install the relocation kit for the transfer pump on this truck or was it already insatalled when you bought it. This truck came new with the transfer pump bolted to the engine not in the tank?
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
1 - OIL PRESSURE SENSOR
2 - PUMP BRACKET NUTS (3)
3 - SUPPORT BRACKET BOLT
4 - BANJO BOLT (REAR)
5 - FUEL SUPPLY LINE
6 - ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR
7 - BANJO BOLT (FRONT)
8 - FUEL TRANSFER PUMP
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
The picture I sent you is where the pump was when the truck was new not in the fuel tank. Did you have it relocated to the fuel tank or was it already done when you bought it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was already done. I think that where that pump was located there is now a metal "junction box" where the incoming fuel line goes to, fuel flows through it and out the other side to the resevoir.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
This sounds like where your problem is.sounds like this pump stops working at times and thats why you have the vacum built up in the fuel canister.this happens for the injeaction pump starting to pull a vacum from the canister because there is no more fuel there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I suspect my first pump was good and that I have an intermittent sensor somewhere, a bad connection or a broken wire. Is that what you are saying?
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
When the relocation kit is installed there will be a relay that is added to the system. There will be a wire that was run from the positive lead of the battery to the relay. I would check this relay first to make sure it is good or is just hanging and hasnt been mounted and is getting water in it. I have seen this before. It all depends on who installed this kit to know how the relay is mounted but I would trace the wire from the battey to it and check that first.