Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

2004 dodge ram 2500: The parking lights wont go off..relay

I have a 2004 dodge ram 2500. The parking lights wont go off. It is not the relay. I changed the module attached to the fusebox and same problem. Could it be the central timer module?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

Two questions.......is this both front and rear parking lights?

Also, is it both sides....or just one?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
front,rear, and both sides
Ok, can you pull fuses 32 and 34 for me and let me know if the lights go out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
done that,they do
Ok, but when you pull the park lamp relay out, they do not go out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes they do,If I put on my hi-beams the taillights will go out also
Alright.....your a shop? Can I assume you have the wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, I am not a shop. I do not have the diagram
Alright, if you unplug the front control module I am going to assume the lights go off.....correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes

Good thanks.

The head light switch and multi function switch on the column, send their signals to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster acts as a body computer or CTM.

The cluster then sends a signal to the front control module to turn on the relay. Since the lights go out when the FCM is unplugged it is safe to assume that it is being told to turn the lights on by the cluster.

So, now we are either down to a problem with the instrument cluster itself, or the messages it is getting from the switches.

I see you changed the multi function switch, but no mention of the headlight switch.

You might want to unplug the headlamp switch and see if the lights go out, if not it appears the problem is in the cluster.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we unplugged the headlight switch, same problem
Ok, then it appears it is the instrument cluster that is keeping the lights turned on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was wrong about the front control module. The lights stay on when it is unplugged.The headlights do not operate at all when unplugged and when I put on the hi-beams the taillights don't go out. Not sure if this means anything .also unplugged everything under dashboard and running lights still stay on

Alright, I think you need to sit down and sort out what is what, here. You are now saying that you were wrong about the FCM........and here are 2 statements that contradict each other.

"If I put on my hi-beams the taillights will go out also"

" when I put on the hi-beams the taillights don't go out"

We will only go in circles unless you can get the facts straight because not only are you wasting your time but mine as well.

Can I have you read back over the questions I have asked you.......make sure all the other answers are correct!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tailights go off when the hi-beams are on,but when the FCM was unplugged they didn't. Understand?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX's just concentrate on why the park lights are staying on and leave everything else for a minute.

So, when you unplug the FCM, the park lights are still on?......Correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Alright........since the FCM is responsible for turning the lights on and off........and the lights stay on with the FCM removed, we know that the problem is after the FCM. The FCM turns on the park lamp relay, and you state that the lights go out with the relay removed.........so the fault is between the FCM and the relay. This can only leave the actual fuse box......or intelligent power module as it is called.........for keeping the relay engaged since you say you have a new relay in there.
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist