CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician

The truck transmission wont shift into second gear. Am sure

The truck transmission won't shift into second gear. Am sure there is no correlation, but it seems that it happens all the time when truck fuel tank is close to empty. Then, when I put three to 25 gallons in it, it appears to shift more frequently. I am sole owner, purchased new in late 1998. This happens consistently whether engine is hot or cold. It has the 315 engine and has been the best vehicle I have had since my '64 Dodge polara with same 315 engine. Mileage is only 80,000; have changed oil fairly consistently every three to four-thousand miles. Am pretty sure that it isn't too major of an issue, but drives me batty when trying to get up to 55 mph each morning in first gear.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 7 years ago.
This is almost always caused by a bad transmission output shaft sensor. Of course you would need a scan tool to view data and confirm this, but unless you have access to one I would just go ahead and change it, the part is less than $50 and is easy to change. It is located on the rear of the transmission on the drivers side, it will have a two wire connector and it threads in to the transmission case, simply unscrew it to change it. You may lose some fluid when you remove it, so have a drain pan and some new fluid ready. If I have answered your question please hit accept.