brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

the turn signals on my 2000 dodge dakota do not work at al

Customer Question

the turn signals on my 2000 dodge dakota do not work at all
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
What have you tried so far?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
checked fuses, made sure all light bulbs are good
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
If the emergency flasher work and the turn signals do not the problem is with the multifunction switch as the turn signals and hazards use the same flasher and fuses and wiring the only difference is the multifunction switch. Replace this and it will fix the problem
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I change the switch? is the switch a dealer part only/
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Here is the information on replacement.....not sure if a part store carries it or not.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. If the vehicle is so equipped, unscrew the lever from the tilt steering column adjuster mechanism located on the left side of the column just below the multifunction switch stalk. Turn the lever counter clockwise to unscrew it from the column.

Steering Column Shrouds Remove/Install - Typical

1. Remove both the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column.
  2. Remove the lower fixed column shroud from the steering column.

Multi-Function Switch Connector

1. Move the upper fixed column shroud far enough to access the back of the multifunction switch.
  2. Remove the tamper proof mounting screws (a Snap On tamper proof Torx bit TTXR20B2 or equivalent is required) that secure the multifunction switch to the steering column.
  3. Gently pull the multifunction switch away from the steering column far enough to access and remove the screw that secures the instrument panel wire harness connector to the multi-function switch connector receptacle.
  4. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the multifunction switch connector receptacle.
  5. Remove the multifunction switch from the steering column.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the multifunction switch onto the steering column.
  2. Reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector to the multifunction switch connector receptacle.
  3. Install and tighten the screw that secures the instrument panel wire harness connector to the multifunction switch connector receptacle. Tighten the screw to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.) .
  4. Install and tighten the two screws that secure the multifunction switch to the steering column. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.) .
  5. Install the lower fixed column shroud onto the steering column.
  6. Install both the upper and lower shrouds onto the steering column.
  7. If the vehicle is so equipped, install the tilt steering column lever onto the left side of the steering column by screwing it into place.
  8. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you're explanation made perfect sense to me amd I did go out and buy and install a new multifunction switch.

However........it did not fix the problem. Any other sugesstions?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Do the turn signals light up and not flash or do they not light up at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they do not light up at all
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

You will need to see if getting power to the switch and out of the switch. Here is the connector and the description on the wires see which ones have power to them with the key on and with the switch in the left position and the right position.

MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH - BLACK 24-WAY
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1V51 20WTINTERMITTENT WIPER MODE SENSE
2V52 20DG/RDFRONT WIPER SWITCH MUX
3V10 18BRWASHER PUMP CONTROL
3V10 18BRWASHER PUMP CONTROL
4V6 18DBFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-ACC)
5V48 16RD/GYDRIVER WIPER ARM SIGNAL
6V45 18VTDRIVER WIPER ARM SIGNAL
7V49 18RD/BKDRIVER LOW SPEED WIPER MOTOR DRIVER
8V49 18RD/BKDRIVER LOW SPEED WIPER MOTOR DRIVER
9V45 18VTDRIVER WIPER ARM SIGNAL
10--
11L60 16TNRIGHT TURN SIGNAL
12L62 16BR/RDRIGHT TURN SIGNAL
13L19 18PKHAZARD FLASHER SIGNAL
14L50 18WT/TNBRAKE LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT
15L63 16DG/RDLEFT TURN SIGNAL
16L61 16LGLEFT TURN SIGNAL
17L6 16RD/WTFLASHER OUTPUT
18L4 18VT/WTDIMMER SWITCH LOW BEAM OUTPUT
19L2 18LGHEADLAMP RELAY OUTPUT
20L3 18RD/ORDIMMER SWITCH HIGH BEAM OUTPUT
21Z1 18BKGROUND
22--
23--
24--

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think it is important to know that when I turn the directionals on, the flasher unit energizes (clicks once) but it does not toggle on/off nor do any lights light up.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thats what we need to find out....where we are loosing power.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

help me out here

what am I supposed to see? I'm thinking i should see +12vdc at either pin 11 or 12 when the rt directional is on, 15 or 16 when the left is on when I reference my meter to frame ground? Is there a descriptive of what these pins are for and where do they go?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Put the negative of the meter to ground (any ground) and the positive of the meter to Pins 4,11,12,15,16 and see which ones have power
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the only pin that has power is #4
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

What about pin #13 and #17?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm thinking that the flasher unit supplies the power to the directional switch. pin 13 has power and 17 turns on when you turn on the emergency flasher . pin 13 is dead when you pull the flasher cube. the flasher cube supplies power to the switch, the switch supplies the power to the appropriate set of lights.

I think the flasher cube is bad

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes, If not getting power to the switch the flaher is bad