sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan: 3.8L..V6..checked fuses..the fan blower

Customer Question

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L V6 The front fan blower stopped working, checked fuses and working fine. I need to replace the fan blower, how do I get to it and replace it? The back one works fine.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Although possible, it's fairly unlikely that your blower motor has failed. It does happen, but it's not that common. Do you have a voltmeter or test light so we could do a couple quick tests to see what the problem is?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I only have a one for electricity (Electro-Tek)

Ok. If you can get a hold of a volt/ohm meter or test light you'll want to check the blower motor resistor. You can pick up a test light or meter for probably $5. This is what steps down the available current to the blower motor to give you the different speeds. It's located in the heater box right behind the glovebox door. This is a pretty common part to fail, probably at a rate of 50:1 vs a bad blower motor.

Drop the glovebox door down out of the way and you'll see the resistor and it's 6 wire electrical connector. With the key on and blower motor set on high check for power on the black wire and ground on the dark green. These go to the blower motor. If you do have power and ground there stop and replace the blower motor. I think you will be missing one or both of these though.

If you are missing power check for power on the dark blue wire. If it has it, replace the resistor.

If power is ok and there is no ground coming from the resistor, check for ground on the dark blue/gray wire at the resistor with the blower motor on high. If it's ok and no ground coming out on the dark green wire, replace the resistor.

If you can't get a hold of a meter or test light I would recommend replacing the resistor first before attempting the motor. It's far more likely the problem and way easier to replace. It's also very cheap, probably less than $10.

The blower motor is on the bottom of the heater box on the passenger side. It's buried under the recirculation housing. To remove it you have to roll the carpet back (I also move the floor insulation), remove the recirculation actuator and lower housing, and then you can get to the blower motor and remove it. The screws for the recirc housing are very hard to get to, you need a 6" extension and a 8mm 1/4" drive swivel socket, and it's still very bad to do because the screws are very hard to access, the front one is against the firewall where you can't do anything but feel with two fingers.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will get a volt meter tomorrow and test the wires. I pray its not the blower, I am a single parent with 2 kids on a fixed income, with a bad back to boot ( had five back surgeries) I always try to do things on my own weather my back can take it or not. I fixed my washer and replaced a coupler big job, but I did it!!! Yeah! So Im determinded to do this.

I wonder in those wires would have anything to do with my blinkers acting goofy?????

Oh, by the way your advice is great and a relief if thats all it is.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you deal with! I hope this goes as easily as possible. If you run into anything while you're working on this don't hesitate to come back here and look me up. I work during the day so there may be a delay getting back to you but I won't leave you hanging. Contorting yourself under the dash of this thing to get the blower motor out may not be that great of an idea with your back condition. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

What are your turn signals doing? (not that I have to ask. sometimes they don't work, other times they flash the wrong side of the van?)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I try to signle to the right the left on will come on. Or they wont work at all & I will click it up and down 1-2 times and it will work on the left only.

SmileThank you for your kind words and I will be careful and if I think its too much I will back off ( that is if it the blower).

Thanks Again!

The turn signal problem isn't uncommon to the minivan (either). It's caused by an internal problem in the multifunction switch (turn signal/wiper switch). It works off of a resistive multiplex system that runs a 5v reference from a module to the switch, with then puts the voltage through different resistors to vary the voltage for the different switch positions. When the voltage comes back incorrect the module will either turn on the wrong turn signals or give you nothing at all. Replace the switch and that could take care of it. You'll want to disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes before going in since you'll be working close to airbag wiring when replacing the switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last question. Where is the switch located? You have been a great help. I thank you very much.Smile I will let you know how things turn out!

Thanks Again!

It's the turn signal/wiper switch right there on the steering column. It's called the multifunction switch. There are three phillips screws from the bottom of the steering column shroud to remove then pop the shroud off. There is one small electrical connector on the switch and two more phillips screws that hold it to the steering column. It's a very quick and easy job.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this is for sprinkles08,

I tested all the wires as instructed. The black wire and the dark green had power and ground, so I replaced the blower moter, but it still does not work! The 4 wires blue and gray with a colored stripe do not work, the one dark blue next to those does work. Do I need to replace the resistor as well?

If you have a voltmeter set it to ohms. Unplug the resistor and check for continuity between every pin. If you find any that show an open circuit replace the resistor. A bad blower motor will often take out a resistor because it generates excess heat.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tested all the wires as you instructed. The four wires, 2 on top of each other had no power, the one bunched with them off to the right has power (its dark blue). The 2 wires off to the right of those the dark blue on top of the black ground, they both have power. So I replaced the blower motor as you instructed. But it still is not working!!

The dark blue wire is the power coming into the resistor from the relay. It should have power. We have that. Next unplug the two wire connector from the resistor. The terminal that goes to the solid black wire from the connector should have 12v. This wire is not ground, this is 12v passing through the resistor as it comes from the relay. It goes in on the dark blue, right back out on the black.

If the black wire has power with the key on check for ground on the terminal that goes to the dark green wire in the two wire connector. Do this with the blower motor set on high. If there is no ground, check for ground on the dark blue/gray wire at the resistor. If it's ok there, replace the resistor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I spoke to you on 9/16/09 about my 2005 dodgegrand caravan. The front a/c fan not blowing. You instructed me to get a voltage meter and test the wires behind the glove box. You said if the dark green and black wires going to the fan motor had power I needed to replace the fan motor. They did have power so I replaced the fan motor, its still not working. When I tested the other 5 wires to the left of those 2 wires, only one of them worked and it was the dark blue one on the top row closest to the fan blower motor. So do I need to replace the resistor as well? Sorry I just started where we left off last week, I know I should have reminded you of what we were working on last time. Smile

I remember you and your problem. I didn't tell you that the black wire should have ground, I told you the black should have power and the dark green wire should have ground. This was in the second sentence of the second paragraph of my first answer. If you had power on both wires the blower motor will never work, it needs power on one wire and ground on the other. If you saw power on both of these wires that means you were reading the 12 through the windings of the blower motor and back to the resistor. This tells me that you have no ground coming out of the resistor on the dark green wire, and the resistor is likely the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my 2005 Dodge Grand caravan front a/c fan not working, I replaced the fan motor blower. Did everything step by step as you instructed, but it is still not blowing. So front a/c fan not blowing, no cool air coming out. Back fan blowing and cooling just fine. I dont know what else to tell you.

Are you reading my replies? I've sent you three replies and I'm not thinking you are reading them. I've sent instructions three times on what to do to test it from here. As I said in my first answer the first night we talked, you should have power on the black wire at the blower motor connector and ground on the dark green. If you don't have ground on the dark green it sounds like you need a resistor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont know what else to say, what is it that he is needing?

I'm going to send this as an answer in hopes that you may read it. I've been sending my replies as information requests so you would not be prompted to pay again. When you get an information request email you click the link to look at the information request I've sent so you can read it before responding back to me, otherwise you won't know what I'm asking you.

Here is my first reply to you tonight.

Here is your next reply.

Here was my next reply.

Here was your next reply.

I spoke to you on 9/16/09 about my 2005 dodgegrand caravan. The front a/c fan not blowing. You instructed me to get a voltage meter and test the wires behind the glove box. You said if the dark green and black wires going to the fan motor had power I needed to replace the fan motor. They did have power so I replaced the fan motor, its still not working. When I tested the other 5 wires to the left of those 2 wires, only one of them worked and it was the dark blue one on the top row closest to the fan blower motor. So do I need to replace the resistor as well? Sorry I just started where we left off last week, I know I should have reminded you of what we were working on last time.

Here was my reply to that.

Here was your next reply.

Here was my last reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am soooo sorry I forgot I needed to go back to my email to get an answer, but I didnt because the prompt kept telling me you needed more info in order to answer me. So I kept trying to give you more info!!!! Sorry! Also, Im on some pretty strong pain meds at the moment and I guess I got a little confused.

Ok, now that I read your answers, Im still a little confused. I will check the wires like you said. But since I talked to you the 1st time I checked the wires and the light on the meter came on on both the black wire and the dark green wire, so I thought the fan needed replacing. So I should have had the light come on with the black wire only. So I did not need to replace the fan? Can I get my money back on a part? I live in a small town so they said they would have to order a resistor and they told me I would have to get the multifunction switch from the dealer. Sorry for all the confusion. Bye the way your instructions on replacing the fan motor was spot on, great directions!!!!!

I was wondering how that blower motor went for you with the back problems. I hate those things myself and my back can't be nearly as bad as yours is.

It does sound like the blower motor was probably ok, but stick a resistor in it first and make sure it works. You may be able to take the blower motor back but I couldn't promise it. Many places won't take electrical parts back but it doesn't hurt to ask. It's really surprising that they didn't have the resistor in stock, it's a common item.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well the guy did tell me to hang onto my receipt, so I guess I'll call and ask tomorrow. As for the resistor, I guess since we are in such a little cow town its not a regular item, so I will get them to order me one. So is there anyway to check the old fan motor without putting it back on, after the new resistor is in place? I did want to tell you your instructions on the fan motor were excellent. My 14yr son helped me (he's learning from me as we go). The worst part as you know was lack of space, so I got an ice chest, pushed it up to the passagner door and layed down on that so I could get to underneath the dash. Once we got it off, putting the new one back on was realativily easy, just cramped!

Thanks!

That floorboard insulation being up under that forward screw really is the worst part of it. Most of these don't have quite as much floor insulation left when they leave after a blower motor is replaced. Wink

If he told you to hang onto the receipt that's a good sign. It's definitely worth a shot.

You can do one of two things. You could either run jumper wires to the blower motor while it's out of the van and see if it powers up. This can be tricky to do with the close quarters the terminals are in, the jumper wires may arc to each other. you could also plug the blower motor in to the resistor as you said and turn it on that way. Whichever way you choose just make sure to hold the base of the motor and stay away from the fan part of it. It's torquey when it's turned on and will try to jump out of your hand, and you don't wan't to get any body parts stuck in the fan!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, its going to be a couple of days before I will get the part and most importantly, my back to ease up some!!! I've got a morphine pump in my hip and I slipped off the cooler(my son was not holding it like he was suppose to) and hit my pump on the bottom of the door frame...ouch!!! So when I can move again and I get the part, I will get it done (probably Wed.) then I will let you know the outcome. Thank you again for all your help!

Smile

Definitely let me know how it goes and if you need any more help with it!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will, thanks again!Smile

You're welcome. Have a great night!