Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 SRT model has developed a seatbelt problem.

My 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 SRT model has developed a seatbelt problem. After sitting idle for one week both seatbelts will not extend from the top of the bucket seats. I have tried jiggling
them but they only move about an inch. I can see the belt retractor but it will only move slightly.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Frank Barchiese

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There may be a problem with the seat belt control module being that it is both seat belts.

You will want to check the fuses (#1 and #16) of course and then the module. Here is a diagram of the airbag that shows the fuses and a test for the SCTM.

graphic

SYSTEM OPERATION
A seat belt retractor latch solenoid is integral to each of the two outboard front seat belt retractors. The solenoid is grounded at all times through its wire harness connector and circuit. The solenoid receives battery current, which is switched by the Seatbelt Control Timer Module (SCTM), through a fuse in the junction block.

When the seat belt retractor latch solenoids are energized the retractor spools are unlatched, and the seat belt webbing can be withdrawn from the retractor. When the solenoids are de-energized the retractor spools latch, preventing the seat belt webbing from being withdrawn any further from the retractor.

The seat belt retractor latch solenoids cannot be repaired. If the solenoid is faulty or damaged, the entire seat belt retractor unit must be replaced.

graphic

Testing and Inspection
Notes

Seat Belt Retractor Latch Solenoid

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Unplug the wire harness connector from the Seatbelt Control Timer Module (SCTM).
  2. Check the resistance between the inoperative (driver or passenger) latch signal circuit cavity of the SCTM wire harness connector and a good ground. The correct resistance should be from 50 to 60 ohms . If OK, see Seatbelt Control Timer Module in the Diagnosis and Testing. If not OK, go to Step 3.
  3. Unplug the wire harness connector at the inoperative (driver or passenger) seat belt retractor latch solenoid. Check the resistance between the two terminals of the latch solenoid. The correct resistance should be from 50 to 60 ohms . If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, replace the faulty seat belt retractor unit.
  4. Check the resistance between the ground circuit cavity of the latch solenoid wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be no measurable resistance. If OK, repair the inoperative (driver or passenger) latch signal circuit between the solenoid wire harness connector and the SCTM wire harness connector as required. If not OK, repair the circuit to ground as required.