Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Can I replace a 2002 Dodge Ram Heater Core without removing the dash?

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you have to remove the dash panel to get the hvac box out, it is a five hour job, but there is no way around it, Would you like the procedure for doing this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I'd like the procedure.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Notes

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY .

1. Remove the left A-pillar trim. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\A - Pillar Trim
  2. Remove the top cover. See: Instrument Panel Top Cover Replacement
  3. Disconnect the headliner harness electrical connector at the A-pillar.

Fig. 18 Instrument Panel Covers

1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, from the notch on the bottom, remove the left side cover. (Fig. 18)
  2. Remove the steering column. See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair

Fig. 5 Column Support

1. Remove the two bolts at the column support bracket. (Fig. 5)
  2. Remove the left cowl trim panel. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Cowl Trim
  3. Remove the instrument panel drivers side bezel. See: Instrument Panel Trim Bezel - Driver

Fig. 6 Left Side Mounting

1. Remove the left side mounting bolts. (Fig. 6)

Fig. 7 Wire Harness Connectors

1. Disconnect the wire harness electrical connectors above the brake pedal. (Fig. 7)
  2. Loosen the screws and remove the hood release handle from the bracket.
  3. Disconnect the park brake release handle actuator rod.
  4. Remove the airbag control module trim cover, if equipped. (Fig. 18)
  5. Remove the floor console, if equipped. See: Console\Service and Repair\Procedures\Floor Console

Fig. 8 Center Mounting Bolts

1. Remove the center bracket bolts. (Fig. 8)
  2. Disconnect the airbag control module electrical connector.
  3. Remove the right cowl trim cover. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Cowl Trim

Fig. 9 Right Wire Harness Connection

1. Disconnect the two electrical connectors. (Fig. 9)

Fig. 10 Antenna Connection

1. Disconnect the radio antenna. (Fig. 10)

Fig. 11 HVAC Instrument Panel Mounting

1. Remove the one HVAC screw. (Fig. 11)

Fig. 12 Passenger Side Mounting

1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, from the notch on the bottom, remove the right end cap. (Fig. 12)
  2. Remove the right A-pillar trim. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\A - Pillar Trim
  3. Remove the two right side mounting bolts on the A-pillar and one right mounting bolt on the cowl side panel. (Fig. 12)

Fig. 13 Upper Cowl Panel Bolts

1. Remove the four top instrument panel screws. (Fig. 13)
  2. Remove the two top instrument panel bolts and remove the instrument panel.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the instrument panel assembly in vehicle.

Fig. 14 Brake Release Rod

1. Route the park brake release rod through the instrument panel. (Fig. 14)
  2. Install the instrument panel onto the left side guide pin and the right side guide hook.
  3. Install the left side mounting bolts and tighten to 12 N.m (9 ft. lbs.) .
  4. Install the instrument panel drivers side bezel. See: Instrument Panel Trim Bezel - Driver
  5. Install the left cowl trim panel. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Cowl Trim
  6. Connect the headliner harness electrical connector at the A-pillar.
  7. Install the left A-pillar trim. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\A - Pillar Trim
  8. Position the left end cap and seat the attachment clips fully.
  9. Install the right side mounting bolts on the A-pillar and one right mounting bolt on the cowl side panel and tighten to 12 N.m (9 ft. lbs.) .
  10. Install the right A-pillar trim panel. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\A - Pillar Trim
  11. Position the right end cap and seat the attachment clips fully.
  12. Install the one HVAC mounting screw.
  13. Connect the radio antenna.
  14. Connect the two electrical connectors at the right cowl panel.
  15. Install the right cowl trim cover. See: Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Cowl Trim
  16. Connect the airbag control module electrical connector.
  17. Install the center bracket bolts and tighten to 12 N.m (9 ft. lbs.) .
  18. Install the floor console, if equipped. See: Console\Service and Repair\Procedures\Floor Console
  19. Install the airbag control module cover, if equipped.
  20. Connect the park brake release handle actuator rod.
  21. Install the hood release handle and tighten the screws.
  22. Install the two bolts at the column support bracket and tighten to 14 N.m (10 ft. lbs.) .
  23. Install the steering column. See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair
  24. Connect the wire harness electrical connectors above the brake pedal.
  25. Install the two top instrument panel bolts and tighten to 12 N.m (9 ft. lbs.) .
  26. Install the four top instrument panel screws.
  27. Install the instrument panel top cover. See: Instrument Panel Top Cover Replacement

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Notes

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Service Procedures, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Service Procedures\Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement
  3. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system. See: Refrigerant

Fig. 4 HVAC Housing - Dual Zone Shown (Typical - Single Zone)

1. Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube. See: Coupler HVAC\Service and Repair
  2. Disconnect the accumulator inlet tube refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator outlet tube. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings. See: Coupler HVAC\Service and Repair
  3. Drain the engine cooling system. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair
  4. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes.
  5. Unplug all electrical connectors from the actuators and blower motor.
  6. Remove the nuts from the HVAC housing mounting studs.
  7. Remove the HVAC housing from inside the vehicle taking care not to allow any remaining coolant to drain on the vehicles interior.

INSTALLATION

WARNING: IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AIR CONDITIONING, REVIEW THE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS IN PLUMBING BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION. See: Refrigerant\Service Precautions

1. Position the HVAC housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the evaporator condensate drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
  2. Install and tighten the nuts onto the HVAC housing mounting studs. Tighten the nuts to 6.2 Nm (55 in.lbs.) .
  3. Connect the HVAC system electrical connectors.
  4. Unplug or remove the tape from the heater core tubes. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the engine cooling system. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair
  5. Unplug or remove the tape from the liquid line and the evaporator inlet tube fittings. Connect the liquid line coupler to the evaporator inlet tube. See: Coupler HVAC\Service and Repair
  6. Evacuate the refrigerant system. See: Refrigerant
  7. Charge the refrigerant system. See: Refrigerant
  8. Install the instrument panel in the vehicle. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Service Procedures, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Service Procedures\Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement
  9. Connect the battery negative cable.
  10. Start the engine and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems.
  11. Run the calibration procedure.