Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience

2002 Durango: clicking noise..once I start..I start accelerating..mins

My 2002 Durango is making a flapping/clicking noise when I turn on the vehicle and starts making more noise once I start accelerating. It seems to go away after about 5 mins of driving. But as soon as I turn off the vehicle and turn it back on it starts again. The noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side under the hood, not to sure though. Can you tell me what is wrong? thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Josh replied 7 years ago.
Hello, what engine is in your durango?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

V8 magnum

Expert:  Josh replied 7 years ago.
Ok, from your description it sounds like what you have is a failed lash adjuster on the passenger side of the engine, this is a relatively common issue for this engine. What happens when they fail is they release tension as soon as oil pressure is no longer present instead of retaining their position and it takes a while for them to build back up to their proper position. What you or your mechanic will have to do is isolate exactly where the noise is coming from on the engine with a stethescope, then remove the valve cover to inspect the lash adjusters in that area. Replacing any that are not holding tension on the rocker arm.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.