brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Check engine light code P000b on a 2007 Dodge Calibar. What is it??

Customer Question

check engine light code P000b on a 2007 Dodge Calibar. What is it??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

It is a code for a slow response from the cam sensor. It can be cause from dirty oil or the wrong type of oil.

Have you changed oil lately and if so what type of oil was used?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the light comes on and off,, it came on prior to me getting an oil change and hoes on and off intermittingly. I use the highest grade possible when changing oil. Please reply again
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Are you using 5W20 oil?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
local jiffy lube and whatver the highest is they use is what i have been using since i got the car
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well wheres the answer???
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

If your sure the oil is correct then there is an issue with the cam sensor or cam sensor solenoid. I will attach the diagnostic flow chart that you will need to use to see which one it is.

P000B-BANK 1 CAMSHAFT 2 POSITION SLOW RESPONSE

For a complete wiring diagram refer to Diagrams/Electrical.

• When Monitored:

Variable Valve Timing (VVT) rationality is monitored under the following conditions: (1) Cam phasing is commanded off of the default (lockpin) position; (2) Oil temperature is between 20°F and 284°F (-7°C to 140°C) ; (3) Battery voltage is greater than 10 volts ; (3) Engine speed is at least 1000 to 1400 rpm , depending on oil temperature; (4) No CMP sensor, CKP sensor, or OBDI plausibility errors. Before VVT can be enabled, reference adaptation must be completed.

• Set Condition:

The actual camshaft phasing setpoint does not match the desired camshaft phasing setpoint.

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Theory of Operation

Dual Variable Valve Timing (VVT) allows the PCM to monitor and adjust the position of each camshaft, based on desired torque levels and engine operating conditions. The PCM controls two solenoid operated control valves, one for each camshaft, that are used to direct oil pressure to hydraulic actuators mounted between each camshaft and its driving sprocket. The oil pressure alters the angular position or phasing of each camshaft relative to crankshaft rotation. A sensor is used to monitor the position of each camshaft.

Diagnostic Test

1. DTC IS ACTIVE

NOTE: Diagnose and repair any system voltage DTCs before continuing with this test.

NOTE: Diagnose and repair any CMP sensor or CKP sensor DTCs before continuing with this test.

NOTE: Diagnose and repair any oil pressure or oil pressure sensor DTCs before continuing with this test.

Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury or death.

With the scan tool, Clear DTCs in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Test drive the vehicle under the conditions in which the DTC is monitored, as outlined above.

With the scan tool, select View DTCs.

Is the status Active for this DTC?

Yes

• Go to 2

No

• Refer to the *CHECKING FOR AN INTERMITTENT DTC Diagnostic Procedure.

2. ENGINE OIL DIRTY OR CONTAMINATED

Turn the ignition off.

Inspect engine oil for signs of contamination, sludge, or foreign material.

NOTE: If the engine oil is contaminated, inspect the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid for contamination, foreign material, or any condition that would restrict movement of the valve. The solenoid must be replaced if it is damaged or if valve movement is restricted due to contamination.

Were any problems found?

Yes

• Clean the engine oil system, including oil passages.
  • Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1.No
  • Go to 3

3. INCORRECT ENGINE OIL VISCOSITY

Review service history to determine if the correct viscosity engine oil was used.

Were any problems found?

Yes

• Change the engine oil and retest.
  • Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1.
  • No
  • Go to 4

4. CAMSHAFT 1/2 POSITION SOLENOID CONTROL ACTUATION

Turn the ignition on.

With the scan tool, actuate the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid control to toggle on and off.

Listen for the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid to click open and closed during the actuation.

Does the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid click open and closed during the actuation?

Yes

• Go to 8

No

• Go to 5

5. (K343) FUSED MAIN RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid connector.

Turn the ignition on.

Using a 12 volt test light connected to ground, check the (K343) Fused Main Relay Output circuit in the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid harness connector.

NOTE: The test light should be illuminated and bright. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.

Is the test light illuminated and bright?

Yes

• Go to 6

No

• Repair the (K343) Fused Main Relay Output circuit for high resistance.
  • 6. (K276) CMP 1/2 CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE

With the scan tool, actuate the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid control to the ON (100%) position.

Using a 12 volt test light connected to 12 volts , check the (K276) CMP 1/2 Control circuit in the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid harness connector.

Yes
  • Go to 7

No

• Repair the (K276) CMP 1/2 Control circuit for high resistance.
  • Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1
  • 7. CAMSHAFT 1/2 POSITION SOLENOID

Turn the ignition off.

Inspect the wiring and connectors between the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.

Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.

Remove the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid.

Inspect the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid for contamination, foreign material, or any condition that would restrict movement of the valve.

NOTE: The solenoid must be replaced if it is damaged or if valve movement is restricted due to contamination.

Were any problems found?

Yes
  • Repair as necessary.
  • No
  • Replace the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid.
  • 8. CAMSHAFT PHASER

Turn the ignition off.

Remove the appropriate Camshaft Phaser.

Inspect the Phaser for contamination, foreign material, or any condition that would restrict operation of the Phaser.

Inspect the Phaser oil passages for signs of sludge or foreign material.

NOTE: The Phaser should not be disassembled. If the Phaser is damaged, it must be replaced.

Were any problems found?

Yes
  • Repair as necessary.
  • No
  • Replace the appropriate Camshaft Phaser.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How is all this supposed to help me??????went from dirty oil to all this????
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Well dirty oil or the wrong weight of oil is normally what causes this problem, but you stated that it is good. So the problem is either a solenoid or a sensor and I sent you the test to figure out which one it needs.

What can I do to help you figure it out?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

basically your last response i could have gotten from anyone. That being take it in to a Chrysler dealer. Your answer is vague and i thought the whole point of the code was to pin point cause. How do we know its just not a bad cam censor. Is there a different code for that?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
A code just narrows down the circuit in which the problem is in. It is a misconception that a number tells you exactly what is wrong with the car. Odds are the problem is with a cam sensor (which the vehicle has two), but if i say replace a cam sensor and you do that and it doesn't fix the car then you will be upset that you spent money replacing a part you did not need, only to find out it needed a solenoid or the other sensor. The only way to know for sure what it needs is to run a few test which I can help you do if you want? Also not sure how many miles you have on the car but it may still be under warranty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
car has 44000 miles on it.. I have an extended warranty with a 100 dollar deductible . Are the test your describing coverd under a warranty? I have a 85000 or 72 month extended warranty. i am thinking of going back to the jiffy lube and demanding a oil change and clean out
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Is your extended warranty with Dodge? If so send me your vin# XXXXX I can check to see if it is covered. If not you would need to call the warranty company to see if it is covered.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With Dodge Vin # 2 1BHB48897D260444
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
I checked and these items would be covered under your contract.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so all i would have to pay is the deductible?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Correct.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how long does this usually take? am i entitled to a replacement car if needed?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes you have rental coverage and the repair with check out should take about 1 1/2 hours.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

should i as k jiffy lube or is their highest grade oil rge correct one ? i will be going to chrysler too

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes I would find out what weight oil they are using.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and the correct one is 5 w 20?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes.....Correct