Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 My turn signals and brake lights have

Customer Question

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V6:
My turn signals and brake lights have recently stopped working. The turn signals simply stopped over the weekend between turning the ignition off to starting it up again 10 minutes later. If I lift or lower the turn signal lever it will lock in place but the usual clicking noise is gone as well as the flashers, in dash and external.

I do not know how long the brake lights have been out since a friendly fellow commuter informed me that they were out today. I checked all the fuses and the bulbs and none are blown. I see a blue module with TBB89 in the fuse box but I am not sure what that is for.

Any insight or part suggestions would be much appreciated!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Hello, most likely you have a bad flasher module. It is possible to affect brake lights as well. I would replace flasher unit per instructions below

COMBINATION FLASHER
The combination flasher is located in the Junction Block (JB) behind the fuse access panel on the left outboard end of the instrument panel. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry (IC) elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

The combination flasher has five blade-type terminals that connect it to the vehicle electrical system through five matching cavities in the receptacle of the JB. while the combination flasher has a International Standards Organization (ISO) -type relay terminal configuration or footprint, the internal circuitry is much different. The combination flasher does not use standard ISO-relay inputs or provide ISO-relay type outputs or functions. The combination flasher should never be substituted for an ISO-relay or replaced with an ISO-relay, or else component and vehicle damage may occur.

The combination flasher cannot be repaired or adjusted and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

The combination flasher has five blade-type terminals intended for the following inputs and outputs: fused B(+), fused ignition switch output, ground, turn signal circuit, and hazard warning circuit. Constant battery voltage and ground are supplied to the flasher so that it can perform the hazard warning function, and ignition switched battery voltage is supplied for the turn signal function.

Fig.6 Combination Flasher - Typical

The Integrated Circuitry (IC) within the combination flasher contains the logic that controls the flasher operation and the flash rate. Pin 6 of the IC receives a sense voltage from the hazard warning circuit of the multi-function switch. When the hazard warning switch is turned ON, the "hazard on sense" voltage will become low due to the circuit being grounded through the turn signal bulbs. This low voltage sense signals the IC to energize the flash control Positive-Negative-Positive (PNP) transistor at a pre-calibrated flash rate or frequency. Each time the PNP transistor energizes the hazard warning circuit, the pin 6 "hazard on sense" voltage will become high and the IC signals the PNP transistor to de-energize the circuit. This cycling will continue until the hazard warning switch is turned OFF.

Likewise, pin 8 of the IC receives a sense voltage from the turn signal circuits of the multi-function switch. when the left or right turn signal switch is turned ON, the "turn signal on sense" voltage will become low due to the circuit being grounded through the turn signal bulbs. This low voltage sense signals the IC to energize the flash control PNP transistor at a pre-calibrated flash rate or frequency. Each time the PNP transistor energizes the turn signal circuit, the pin 8 "turn signal on sense" voltage will become high and the IC signals the PNP transistor to de-energize the circuit. This cycling will continue until the right or left turn signal switch is turned OFF.

A special design feature of the combination flasher allows it to "sense" that a turn signal circuit or bulb is not operating, and provide the driver an indication of the condition by flashing the remaining bulbs in the affected circuit at a higher rate (120 flashes-per-minute or higher). Conventional flashers either continue flashing at their typical rate (heavy-duty type), or discontinue flashing the affected circuit entirely (standard-duty type). During turn signal operation, the combination flasher IC compares normal battery voltage input on pin 2 with the shunt resistor voltage input on pin 7. If the IC "senses" that the voltage difference between pin 2 and pin 7 is different than the pre-calibrated value of the IC, it will increase the rate at which it signals the PNP transistor to energize the pin 1 output. Thus, the inoperative half (left or right side) of the turn signal circuit will flash faster.

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment. If the combination flasher is believed to be faulty, test the turn signal system and hazard warning system. Then replace the combination flasher with a known good unit to confirm system operation. (Refer to LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/TURN SIGNAL & HAZARD WARNING SYSTEM - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the fuse access panel by unsnapping it from the left outboard end of the instrument panel.

Fig.7 Junction Block

1. Remove the combination flasher from the Junction Block (JB) .

INSTALLATION

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Position the combination flasher in the proper receptacle of the Junction Block (JB).
  2. Align the terminals of the combination flasher with the terminal cavities in the JB receptacle for the flasher.
  3. Push in firmly and evenly on the combination flasher until the terminals are fully seated in the terminal cavities of the JB receptacle for the flasher.
  4. Reinstall the fuse access panel by snapping it onto the left outboard end of the instrument panel.
  5. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

Please hit the ACCEPT button if you agree with my answer. Positive feedback and bonus is welcome. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just so I'm sure. The Combo Flasher you're referring to is the cube looking thing that's plugged into the same panel as the rest of the fuses correct?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Yes, larger box item lower left in panel I am pretty sure./

Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the flasher module with the one that matches my truck and this did not resolve either problem. Any suggestions on what it may be?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, electricl problems can be difficult when not there, I need to look at some diagrams. I will get back to you as quick as I can
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
do you happen to have a testlight or voltmeter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not on me. The closest thing I have at home is a telephone buttset. It does have readings for line voltage and alligator clips and vampire taps so it may work. Otherwise I'll have to wait until Monday to pick mine up from the office or borrow Dad's tomorrow.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will leave it up to you. Pull the flasher,. turn key on, I will need to know how many termisnals have power OR 12 volts. LMK when you can I will be on/off each day
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What terminals do you mean? I'm not sure where you want me to test voltage at.

Is it safe to pull the flasher module when the battery is connected or should I D/C battery, unplug flasher module, R/C battery, then turn ignition to on?

I'm not familiar with Auto electrical systems. I'm a phone/network engineer so low voltage network and phone as well as residential are basically the extent of my electrical expertise.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Its simple. You do not need to undo battery. Just pull out the flasher and probe all terminals it plugs into with key on. You will not hurt anything
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll definitely need a volt meter then. I'll let you know what I find!

Thanks again!
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
take your time. I am going no where. LMK wjhen you can. thanks