Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

where is the cabin air filter located on my 2005 Dodge Magnum

Customer Question

where is the cabin air filter located on my 2005 Dodge Magnum and how do i change it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

REMOVAL:

1. Remove the air inlet grille from the wiper module screen located near the dash panel in the engine compartment. graphic
  2. Open the filter door on the top of the particulate air filter housing located inside of the dash panel plenum. NOTE: To aid in reinstallation, note the installed position of the particulate air filter prior to removal of the filter.graphic
  3. Remove the particulate air filter from the particulate air filter housing located inside of the dash panel plenum. Note the direction of air flow indicated by an arrow on the filter

INSTALLATION

NOTE: The particulate air filter is labeled with "REAR OF VEHICLE" and an arrow to indicate air flow direction through the filter. Make sure to properly install the particulate air filter. Failure to properly install the filter will result in the need to replace the filter sooner than required by design

1. Install the particulate air filter into the particulate air filter housing located inside of the dash panel p. Insert the particulate air filter down directly into the filter housing with the arrow on the filter pointing to the rear of the vehicle. The particulate air filter is held in place by friction between the filter element and the filter housing, so no fasteners are required
  2. Close the filter door on the top of the particulate air filter housing located inside of the dash panel p.
  3. Install the air inlet grille onto the wiper module screen.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can not find the location of the cabin air filter anywhere. I followed the instructions; taking off the air inlet grille but did not see the filter door. i have a hood shaped black plastic "hood" with a metal mesh screen. I took that part off and there was a large dome shaped plastic piece in side the compartment. There was nothing else insode the compartment. I am lost!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
It should be right under that grill. Passenger side corner. You will see the cabin air filter door, pull up on it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
For whatever reason, my car does not have a cbin filter door, or housing. There is only the hooded paiece with the wire screen that leads into the interior dash board. I can send you a pic from my phone, I know this sounds crazy but I am telling you Magnum does not have the filter door.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

Can you give me the 10th digit of your VIN#? (I want to verify the year). According to the repair manual, thats where it should be, there are no other options.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The 10th digit is a 5.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
Ok. it is a 2005. Im not sure whats going on. Its a pretty straight forward procedure and the repair guide doesn't offer any other locations. The only thing i can think of, is you've got the "basic" model and your car is not equiped with a cabin air filter. Neither the 2005 Stratus or Neon are equipped with one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a 2005 Magnum SXT, 3.5L V6 24V High-Output engine. it seems like a straight forward repair but it seems like my car must not have one. i guess i'll call the dealer to confirm.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
Hmmm. Im surprised, the SXT is the "higher" model. It should be there. Calling the dealer to confirm should help. Have your VIN# XXXXX to give to them, The dealer's computer can use your VIN# XXXXX tell you EVERYTHING about the car.