brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2004 Dodge Ram 1500: 5.7 liter..Fires..it cranks..few seconds

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 liter

Starts hard about half of the time. Fires for a split second but dousn't start. Then I try again and it cranks over for about 3 0r 4 seconds and eventually starts after a few seconds. Other times it starts perfectly.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.

Have you checked the fuel pressure when this is happening?

After it starts does it run rough?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No i've just checked to make sure i could hear the fuel pump running before i try starting it though. And no after it starts it runs perfectly.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.

From your description the fuel pump is not holding pressure. I suggest putting a fuel gauge on the engine and starting the engine then shut it down and watch the gauge and see if the pressure drops. It should not drop in 30 minutes if it does the pump needs replaced.

What I believe is happening is you loose pressure and then you have to crank it for some time for the pressure to come up before it will start.