Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Certified in A/C, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, and Driveablity (NVH)

I have a 2005 Dodge Neon Sxt. Yesterday the check engine light

I have a 2005 Dodge Neon Sxt. Yesterday the check engine light came on. The car has 23,000 miles. It was very rough pulling away from a light. I pulled over and popped the hood to check anything visible but nothing. Started the car with the ac off and the light came on but the car ran great. Turned the ac back on and still ran great. Went to a local mechanic and he could not detect anything on diagnostic check and reset the check light. Drove around all day in city and highway with no problem. This morning it started right up but when I stopped and did a restart the symptom came right back. It is currently back at the same mechanic getting looked over. My nephew said the neon is notorious for a cam sensor. any suggestions.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mr. T replied 7 years ago.
helloCustomer Thanks for using Just Answer. THere are a couple of things that could be causing this that normally occurs. The first is an EGR valve and/or solenoid. IF one of these is sticking, which usually happens after it gets warm and at a stop, it will cause the motor to stall because exhaust gasses are being inserted into the intake at a rate like the car is traveling at a higher rpm. The other may be a cam or crank sensor. The best way to check this is with a chrysler scantool (DRB III) and check if the cam and crank sensor are in sync. If not, you need to replace both of these as they like to go bad in pairs. But I would lean towards the egr. If the check engine light was on, there is a code in the car and that code would help with a more certain diagnosis.