Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

1999 Dodge 24: cummins diesel..with 167,000 miles on it..my fuel pump

I have a 1999 Dodge 24-valve Cummins diesel pickup truck with 167,000 miles on it. I regularly change the oil and I use synthetic diesel oil. Two questions: (1) Is there one brand of synthetic diesel oil better than or recommended by you more than others; and (2) should I change my fuel pump for preventive maintenance reasons, even though I don't know that I am having any trouble with it? (I ask about the fuel pump because I hear that, when the fuel pump goes down, it usually negatively affects the fuel injectors, resulting in a bill of $3000-3500. Is one brand or kind of fuel pump recommended over another?)
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Hie Joe, I use the Amsoil synthetic in my 99 cummins, it is a little more expensive but it has worked for me for 200k, As for the fuel pump, yes, these have a major problem stock, they are a pull pump and it takes alot to pull fuel, Dodges answer to this is to put the fuel pump in the tank, which is 1500 dollars and they can still go out. About 3 yrs agop the goverment took out all the lubrication in diesel fuel, this doesnt affect the 12 valves or the common rails, but the 24 v with the vp44 pump relies on the fuel for lubrication, and when you loose pressure it damages the diaphram i the pump. this results in 3k of repairs. I always install the airdog fuel pump on my customers rigs and my own, these pumps are 500 dollars and are guarenteed for life, I have never had one fail and Ive installed over a hundred of them. They mount on the frame by the tank and also have an air seperator on them, which helps power and mileage. This is the first mod i suggest to all my customers.