Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Certified in A/C, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, and Driveablity (NVH)
20232300

2002 DODGE RAM 2500: CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION..MODULE..ECM OR PCM).CAN YOU

Customer Question

MY 2002 DODGE RAM 2500 DIESEL WILL NOT START.THE FOLLOWING DIAGNOSTIC CODES HAVE COME UP;P0230(FUEL PUMP PRIMARY CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION),P1689(NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN ECM &INJECTION PUMP MODULE),P1693(DTC DETECTED IN ECM OR PCM).CAN YOU PLEASE HELP?THANKS SO MUCH,BILL
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mr. T replied 5 years ago.
Hello bill. Thanks for using Just Answer. One quick question, have you added any upgrades to your injection pump or injection system?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO.I DID HOWEVER REPLACE THE LIFT FUEL PUMP ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO.IT HAS RUN PERFECTLY SINCE.
Expert:  Mr. T replied 5 years ago.

Alright... With these sequential codes, the search that I have come up with shows that there has been a few of thes cases within the chrysler site. It involves checking mostly wiring to and from your injection pump and lift pump. Here is what chrysler reccommends testing with these codes.

Inspect the wiring and connectors at the ECM and fuel lift pump. Check terminals on fuel lift pump connections for corrosion. Moisture and dirt can cause excessive resistance in connections due to corrosion. Load test the fuel lift pump power and ground at the fuel lift pump connector using a head light as a load. If code P1689 is setting, load test the injection pump power and ground at the injection pump connector using a head light as a load. Before replacing any parts check battery connections, body and ECM grounds. Check the Gray connector near the passenger side battery.

Expert:  Mr. T replied 5 years ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mr. T

*Dont forget to hit "accept" if this answer fulfills your quesiton*

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE MULTIMETER. CAN I SIMPLY TEST FOR PROPER VOLTAGE AT THE CONNECTORS?
Expert:  Mr. T replied 5 years ago.
Yes you can, But the only thing that chrysler recommends is to use a fog lamp to do proper load testing. Instead of just measuring resistance or voltage drop, it shows that the proper amount of amperage is able to flow through these areas, via the lighting of the fog lamp. If you are able to do this just let me know and i can get you the pin numbers if you would like.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I CHECKED ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS AT THE FUEL PUMP,INJECTOR PUMP AND ECU.WHEN VOLTAGE IS APPLIED TO THE SYSTEM,I CAN HEAR THE INJECTOR MODULE RELAY CLICKING. THERE IS NO VOLTAGE AT THE LIFT FUMP. AFTER RECONNECTING ALL ELECTRICAL,ANOTHER CODE HAS COME UP;CODE P0232-FUEL PUMP SECONDARY CIRCUIT HIGH.YOU SUGESSTED GIVING ME THE PIN NUMBERS.MAYBE THIS WILL HELP. DOES THIS NEW CODE GIVE YOU ANY NEW THOUGHTS AS TO WHAT MAY BE WRONG? DO YOU STILL THINK IT IS A BAD CONNECTION OR PERHAPS A PROBLEM WITH A RELAY OR CONTROL MODULE?
Expert:  Mr. T replied 5 years ago.

Alright. This is where I think you are having your problem is between your ecm and your injection pump. This is the flow chart I want you to follow. Let me know if you have any issues.

1 Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the VP44 harness connector.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Measure the voltage of the Fuel Injection Pump relay output circuit in the Fuel

Injection Pump harness connector.

Is the voltage at least 8.0 volts?

All

Yes ! Go To 4

No ! Refer to symptom P0215-FUEL INJECTION PUMP CONTROL

CIRCUIT in the DRIVEABILITY category.

2 Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the VP44 harness connector.

Disconnect the ECM harness connector.

Using a 12-volt test light connected to 12-volts, check the Fuel Injection Pump

Ground circuit.

The test light must illuminate brightly. Compare the brightness to that of a direct

connection to th

All

Yes ! Go To 5

No ! Repair the ground circuit for an open or high resistance.

3 Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the VP44 harness connector.

Disconnect the ECM harness connector.

Measure the resistance of the Datalink (+) circuit between the VP44 harness

connector and the ECM harness connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

All

Yes ! Go To 6

No ! Repair the open Datalink (+) circuit.

4 Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the VP44 harness connector.

Disconnect the ECM harness connector.

Measure the resistance between ground and the Datalink (+) circuit.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

All

Yes ! Repair the Datalink (+) circuit shorted to ground.

No ! Go To 7

5 Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the VP44 harness connector.

Disconnect the ECM harness connector.

Measure the resistance of the Datalink (-) circuit.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

All

Yes ! Go To 8

No ! Repair the open Datalink (-) circuit.

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the VP44 harness connector.

Disconnect the ECM harness connector.

6 Measure the resistance between ground and the Datalink (-) circuit.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

All

Yes ! Repair the Datalink (-) circuit shorted to ground.

No ! Replace the ECM.

FUEL INJECTION PUMP (DIESEL) - 9 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1K240 20BKDATA LINK (-) FUEL INJECTION PUMP
2K242 20WTDATA LINK (+) FUEL INJECTION PUMP
3--
4K44 18VT/ORLOW IDLE SELECT
5K45 18LB/RDFUEL SHUT-OFF SIGNAL
6Z12 14BK/TNGROUND
7A40 14RD/LGFUEL PUMP RELAY OUTPUT
8K48 18DGFUEL INJECTION PUMP SYNC SIGNAL
9--

ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (DIESEL) - 50 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1H104 18BR/ORIDLE VALIDATION SWITCH NO. 1
2K244 20YL/DBCUMMINS BUS (+)
3K6 18VT/WT5V SUPPLY
4K14 18BK/DBSENSOR GROUND
5F18 18LG/BKFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)
6G60 18GY/BKENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL
7K21 18BK/RDINTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
8G12 18GY/RDMANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL
9--
10K7 18OR5V SUPPLY
11K104 18BK/LBSENSOR GROUND
12K246 20YL/DGCUMMINS BUS (-)
13K242 20WTDATA LINK (+) FUEL INJECTION PUMP
14K2 18TN/BKENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
15K135 18YL/WTTRANSFER PUMP SUPPLY
16H105 18LG/DBIDLE VALIDATION SWITCH NO. 2
17K124 18GYCAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
18K48 18DGFUEL INJECTION PUMP SYNC SIGNAL
19--
20--
21K1 18DG/RDWATER IN FUEL SENSOR SIGNAL
22V37 18RD/LGSPEED CONTROL SWITCH SIGNAL
23K240 20BKDATA LINK (-) FUEL INJECTOR PUMP
24V32 18YL/RDBRAKE SWITCH SENSE
25H102 18LB/BKACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
26G113 18ORPTO SWITCH SENSE
27--
28K22 18OR/DBACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
29S21 18YL/BKAIR INTAKE HEATER RELAY NO. 1
30Z12 18BK/TNGROUND
31H101 18DB/WTACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR SUPPLY
32H103 18BK/YLACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR GROUND
33K45 18LB/RDFUEL SHUT-OFF SIGNAL
34K44 18VT/ORLOW IDLE SELECT
35K135 18YL/WTTRANSFER PUMP SUPPLY
36K131 18BR/WTFUEL INJECTOR PUMP RELAY CONTROL
37G85 18OR/BKWAIT-TO-START WARNING INDICATOR DRIVER
38D21 18PK/DBSCI TRANSMIT
39D20 18DGSCI RECEIVE
40D2 18WT/BKCCD BUS (-)
41D1 18VT/BRCCD BUS (+)
42--
43G7 18WT/ORVEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
44K243 20OR/BRDATA LINK SHIELD FUEL INJECTOR PUMP
45K24 18GY/BKCRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
46--
47S22 18OR/BKAIR INTAKE HEATER RELAY CONTROL NO. 2
48A14 18RD/WTFUSED B(+)
49Z12 18BK/TNGROUND
50A14 18RD/WTFUSED B(+)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SO FAR NOTHIING HAS HELPED.IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN TRY?
Expert:  Mr. T replied 5 years ago.
What did the flow chart conclude to. There may be an issue with your ecm, that is why this flow chart should be followed very thouroughly first. This test will lead to some repair needed for your code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI MR. T THE FLOW CHART GAVE ME THE FOLLOWING RESULTS:STEP NO.1:FUEL INJECTION PUMP RLAY CKT MEASURED 12.0VDC. I WENT TO STEP NO.3 JUST TO CHECK AND MEASURED 1.0 OHMS BTWN THE VP44 CONNECTOR & THE ECM CONNECTOR(DATALINK POS. CIRCUIT),STEP NO.4 :NO READING AT ALL,STEP 5:RESISTANCE OF DATALINK (-) IS 1.0 OHMS,STEP 6:NO READING AT ALL.THERE WERE NO FURTHER STEPS.I FAILED TO MENTION THIS IN THE BEGINNING BUT IT MAY BE OF IMPORTANCE.MY TRUCK'S FUEL TANK HAD BEEN SIPHONED.I DIDN'T NOTICE THE FUEL GAUGE. I WENT TO THE STORE AND UPON STARTINIG , IT RAN FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS OND QUIT.I KNOW THE LIFT PUMP IS OK,IT JUST ISN'T GETTING VOLTAGE TO IT.A FRIEND HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM SUGGESTED THAT IT COULD BE THE IAT OR MAP SENSORS THAT HAVE BURNED OUT AND HAS SHUT DOWN THE FUEL SYSTEM
Expert:  Mr. T replied 5 years ago.
When you say no reading at all, is that an out of limits reading? If so then this flow chart has led to possibly your ecm internal failure.