moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

proper bleeding procedure for bleeding brakes, 2001 dodge ram

Customer Question

proper bleeding procedure for bleeding brakes, 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 rwal system, had system run dry when came into shop, made repair, plenty of fluid but NO pedal?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - MANUAL BLEEDING

Use Mopar brake fluid, or an equivalent quality fluid meeting SAE J1703-F and DOT 3 standards only. Use fresh, clean fluid from a sealed container at all times.

1. Remove reservoir filler caps and fill reservoir.
  2. If calipers, or wheel cylinders were overhauled, open all caliper and wheel cylinder bleed screws. Then close each bleed screw as fluid starts to drip from it. Top off master cylinder reservoir once more before proceeding.
  3. Attach one end of bleed hose to bleed screw and insert opposite end in glass container partially filled with brake fluid (Bleed Hose Setup). Be sure end of bleed hose is immersed in fluid.
  4. Open up bleeder, then have a helper press down the brake pedal. Once the pedal is down close the bleeder. Repeat bleeding until fluid stream is clear and free of bubbles. Then move to the next wheel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we did all that,,,every body does,, this vehicle has anti lock brakes,,,RWAL,,probablt a Teves unit,,,come on???all fluid,, NO pedal, ten 4? just to the floor?
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.

Thats what you asked 10-4 and that is what i sent you.have you replaced the master cly?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, have all fluid at all 4 wheels, no air, it took awhile to get all air out,all fluid,,, still no pedal, no brakes at all at all 4 wheels, vehicle came in with rusted rear brake line from prop. valve,,just what is the Proper procedure? do we need a new a new master cylinder? I dom't think so cause we have all fluid at all 4 wheels, lots of fluid,,,we just went through this with another vehicle, found info and it worked, just tell us whats up?
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
I am going to open this back up and let someone else try and help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ten 4 its weird to have all fluid and no brakes at all, it's on lift and no stoppin wheels from turnins, now come on, how does one have have all fluid without absoutley no brake action,,, with or without motor running,,,think customer inverted the seals in master?. he obvislely ran it dry? then why fluid at alll 4 wheels? nothing to slow wheels in drivew with truck on lift, all 4 wheels off ground, dude, you think he f edup mester? then why all fluid at all 4???
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
Hope some one else can help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the answers I recieved did not tell us a thing about fixing out situtation, if you
'expert" would have noticed the word antilock he would have remined me that one HAS to use a scan tool to do this properly,,,, I was reminded of this by a tech from harrisionburg, Va., his name isXXXXX he should be on your team, after being reminded, I felt dumb because I have worked in the automotive industry for over 35 years and all I asked for was the right way to do this. What johnny told me was true and worked and the customer left very happy, so for no help from you guys I refuse to accept your answer,,,and yes ur guy told me,"i hope you can find someone to help you" which I did the next day on my own,,,thankyou, Phil Wachter owner operator, New Market Tire and Service.   Sorry for any spelling errors
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
You do not need a scan tool to bleed this system the info you got on how to bleed the system is from Chrysler.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, but look back at your reply,,,"hope someone else can help you". Well they did and my solus bled the anti lock unit, if it didn't then it lied to me and said "bleeding complete" thats what happened saturday morning,,,
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
OK you got the info you asked for.I see this is not the first time you did not pay so I will be aware of that.