George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

I need to replace my rear hub assembly on my 2000 dodge Neon.

I need to replace my rear hub assembly on my 2000 dodge Neon. I can't find how to do it using the online chilton repair manual can you help
Submitted: 7 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

1. Raise the vehicle, refer to Maintaince for procedure.
  2. Remove the rear wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
  3. If the vehicle is equipped with rear drum brakes, remove any retainer clips from the wheel mounting studs, then pull the brake drum off the hub and bearing.

graphic

1. If the vehicle is equipped with rear disc brakes, perform the following:
    • Remove the two guide pin bolts securing the front disc brake caliper to the steering knuckle.
    • Remove the disc brake caliper from the knuckle and brake rotor.
    • Hang the caliper out of the way using a wire hanger or cord. Do not support the caliper by letting it hang by the hydraulic hose.
    • Remove any retainer clips from the wheel mounting studs, then pull the brake rotor off the hub and bearing.
  1. Remove the dust cap from the hub and bearing assembly.
  2. Remove the retaining nut, then the hub and bearing from the knuckle's spindle.

INSTALLATION

1. Install the hub and bearing on the knuckle's spindle, then install a new retaining nut. Do not reuse the original nut. Tighten the nut to a torque of 217 Nm (160 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install the dust cap on the end of the hub and bearing.
  3. If the vehicle is equipped with rear disc brakes, install the brake rotor and disc brake caliper on the knuckle. Install the two guide pin bolts securing the front disc brake caliper to the steering knuckle. Tighten the guide pin bolts to a torque of 22 Nm (192 inch lbs.) .
  4. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Tighten the wheel mounting nuts in proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification. Repeat the tightening sequence, this time, to full specified torque of 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) .
  5. Lower the vehicle to ground level.

If you have drum brakes let me know the procedure is similar and I can help you with that also

Thank you