Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2006 DODGE RAM 1500 WITH A 5.7 HEMI. SIGNIFCANT VIBRATION

Customer Question

2006 DODGE RAM 1500 WITH A 5.7 HEMI. SIGNIFCANT VIBRATION OVER 60 MPH WHEN BRAKING. AT FIRST ROTORS WERE REPLACED AND THEN CALIPERS WERE REPLACED AS A RESULTOF A TEMP. DIFF OF 150 DEGREES ON LEFT FRONT CALIPER. VIBRATION STILL THERE, HAVE SEEN TSB'S ABOUT LOWER CONTROL ARMS
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There have been some issues with the lower control arm bushings. The bulletin states to go through the diagnostic procedure with elimination, (which you have done mostly)

Here is what it states.

NUMBER: 02-001-07 REV. A

GROUP: Suspension

DATE: March 31, 2007

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 02-001-07, DATED JANUARY 20, 2007, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE A CHANGE TO A LABOR OPERATION NUMBER.

SUBJECT:
When Braking The Vehicle May Drift To One Side Or Exhibits A Body Shudder

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves identifying the type of vehicle drift that may be present and implementing the appropriate repair procedures for the type of vehicle drift.

MODELS:

2006 - 2007 (DR) Ram Truck (1500)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer when braking may experience a vehicle drift to one side and/or a vehicle body shudder. This condition may be more noticeable when brakes are applied at speeds of 88 km/h (55 mph). The vehicle body shudder may exhibit itself as: steering wheel shake, brake pedal pulsation, or seat or floor vibration.

DIAGNOSIS:

1.Verify that all four (4) vehicle road tires are in good condition

2.Verify that the tire pressure in all four (4) vehicle road tires are set to 241 Kpa (35 psi).

3.Road test the vehicle in a safe environment on a flat and level road at a highway speed of approximately 88 km/h (55 mph).

4.Without applying the vehicle brakes. Does the vehicle exhibit a drift to the left, right, or both sides on a flat and level road? Record the direction of vehicle drift.

a.If YES >>> then perform the section of the Repair Procedure for "Front Tire Cross-Switch and Front End Alignment.".

b.If NO >>> then proceed to the next step.

5.Apply the vehicle brakes. On a flat and level road, does the vehicle exhibit a shudder or drift to the left, right, or both sides that is different than when the vehicle brakes are not applied? Evaluate the vehicle when braking several times (during deceleration, at the end of a stop, or during light, moderate, or hard stops).

a.If YES >>> then perform the section of the Repair Procedure for "Front Lower Control Arm Bushings Replacement.

b.If NO >>> then this bulletin does not apply.

graphic

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

A.Front Tire Cross-Switch and Front End Alignment:

1.Cross-switch the front tire and wheel assemblies (left front to right front, and right front to left front).

2.With the front tire and wheel assemblies removed, inspect the front brakes for problems (i.e. grease, dragging brake pads, etc.) that may cause a drift condition.

3.Verify that the front suspension components are in good condition.

graphic

.Align the vehicle front end to the following specifications:

NOTE :Follow the above alignment specification. Pay particular attention to large differences in: left to right caster and left to right toe readings.

5.Road test the vehicle to verify that the condition has been corrected.

B.Front Lower Control Arm Bushings Replacement:

1.Replace the left and right side front lower control arm bushings. Refer to TechCONNECT for detailed repair procedures: select the SERVICE INFO tab > 2 - SUSPENSION > FRONT > BUSHINGS > REMOVAL and INSTALLATION.

NOTE :For the front lower control arm, the front (leading) bushing is different from the rear (trailing) bushing. Take care to install the correct bushing.

2.Verify that the front suspension components are in good condition.

graphic

.Align the vehicle front end to the following specification:

4.Road test the vehicle to verify that the condition has been corrected.

graphic