Donny, Shop Foreman
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep

2006 Dodge: cummins..The battery on the right side blew up

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with a cummins 5.9 .... The battery on the right side blew up. I replaced it and before i got home the new one did the same thing. I noticed the volt guage only putting out 12 to 13 volts. Is this the alternator causing this or what?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Donny replied 7 years ago.

The ECM is not sending the correct readings to the cluster, batteries should always be changed in pairs on these trucks

Charging system is overcharging and overheating the right (passenger) side battery.;Alternator output may be at 17 volts (measured at the alternator output stud), the ECM (Cummins controller) voltage shows 12 volts. With the engine running, voltage at the right (passenger) side battery will be high / above target charging system voltage. At the same time, the left (drivers) side battery will only be near static battery voltage of about 12-13 volts.

Inspect for a damaged / leaking / faulty battery. replace both batteries if one is found to be damaged or leaking. The root cause of the concern is a poor connection between the two batteries. remove and clean the battery cable ends and the battery terminals of the cable that connect to both positive side battery terminals.Be sure to check the cables where the battery terminal is connected to the cable for swelling or corrosion build up, if the cable is found to be swollen or corroded the cable should also be replaced

I hope that this helps you

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if the alternator is putting out 17 volts then would that be a faulty alternator?
Expert:  Donny replied 7 years ago.

Normally the alternator is putting out such a high voltage do to the cables not making a good contact, so the ECM is misreading the voltage at the left hand battery and stepping up the voltage from the alternator to try and compensate, but since the left battery is staying in the 12V to 13V range it does not know that the alternator is putting out that kind of voltage, so it ends up full fielding the alternator and boiling the acid out of the right hand battery

I would inspect and clean the cables and ends, or if the cables are swollen and corroded replace them and then replace both batteries, and then hook a volt meter up to the output stud of the alternator to see what type of out put you are getting, you need to have both batteries in and good solid connections to do this test or you may get false readings, with it all set up you should be seeing 13.8V to 14.5V

Normally an externally regulated alternator will not fail in a state where it over charges, since the field is controlled externally by the ECM

The alternator out put goes to the right hand battery first and then to the left hand battery, the left hand battery is where charging control sense voltage comes from, so if the left battery is low it just keeps ramping up

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it a try
Expert:  Donny replied 7 years ago.

Let me know how you make out and if you need any thing else

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey man, I cleaned those connections and added a another new battery to the driver side just to be on the safe side, fired it up and its charging dead on at 14.5 volts now. I have watched it all day all seems well. I believe this has fixed me right up. Thanks again for your help
Expert:  Donny replied 7 years ago.

You are very welcome

Have a good night