Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

2005 Dodge Dakota: 3.7 V6 4-wheel drive..steep..interstate

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota, 3.7 V6 4-wheel drive. When I go up steep inclines on the interstate, it will throw a code and downshift into 2nd and not come out until I turn off the engine and restart it. Sometimes it happens on flat ground as well. Recently, when I started the truck in the morning in my garage, and shifted into reverse, it went in roughly with a bang.

My local tranny shop spent a while diagnosing and they told me that the CVI's (I think) were running hi (176) when the normal range was 50-150..don't know what this means.//

They told me they think a valve is leaking. They found a service bulletin that says it is necessary to bore out (enlarge) one of the valve body bores.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne question: if I an facing a tranny rebuild, can you point me to the service bulletins that demonstrate Chrysler design error so that I can go to the ZOne and try to get financial relief. The truck has about 130k miles, mostly highway. Always serviced on time...well maintained.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hi there!

There are numerous CVI's, one for each clutch pack and for upshift and downshifts.

CVI stands for clutch volume index which means the computer has a built in spec for the time it takes to make a shift and when it takes longer to make a shift it will be high. High clutch volumes can indicate a clutch is worn, has a broken snap ring etc.

There is NO service bulletin from Chrysler with anything to do with the valve body or your problem. Most transmission shop subcribe to a transmission repair network where they can find info on how to repair problems that other people spend most of there day trying to do by modifying oem designs. These people do this to try and improve some of the oem designs that they believe are a flaw. This is where transmission shops get there bulletins from. The bulletins are not from Chrysler they are from other people/companies that try to improve the trans and sometimes they are actually worse by doing what these people say. If Chysler new there were flaws that would cause premature failure they would come out with a recall or technical service bulletin and revised parts to prolong life.

What codes are you getting from the transmission control module? Did they tell you?

Does your engine flare up when climbing a hill which indicates slippage, I do not mean shifting down I mean it stays in the same gear but slips and causes engine to speed up.

I hope this helps you! If you could get me the codes that would be great, Thanks for know, Richard

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The engine does not flare up. They said that there were high temp codes, which led them to believe the MLPP (again, do know what that is) but they diagnosed it all morning this morning and believe now that its a leaking valve. I can find out monday what the codes are and which of the clutch packs they think has the CVI.

At this point they are recommending a tranny rebuild with a new valve body, unless the new one does ot have the update that they read about (indicating the recommendation to bore out one of the valve bores). Again, I might be able to find out the source of that bulletin to discuss with you.

Other than this intermittant issue, the tranny works perfectly. Shifts normally unless this incident occurs, downshifts when I command it to (accellerator depression) etc. Until the brought up this valve issue, I was convinced it was an electronic issue..

Let me know what else I can do to help you help me.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
The MLPP does not mean anything to me! There is no such thing unless they are using different terminology! If you are getting fault code P0218(high temp operation activated) it could be caused by a few things like poor cooler oil flow, restricted cooler, TCC(torque converter clutch) not working which can build up alot of heat when it does not engage, etc, etc. It would be great if you could get me those fault codes! Could I get your vin so I can research this some? Thanks, Richard
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The MLPP is an externally mounted Shift Lever position sensor. I really do not mean to offend you but, maybe you should hand this case off to someone familiar with Dodge 2005 Dakotas..
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

I am more familiar with All DODGE products then you think. The MLPP is not used in our terminology. There is no externally mounted shift lever position sensor. It is mounted on the valve body in the transmission and is called a Transmission range sensor. I am trying to help you get this repaired without getting screwed by the trans shop. Ask your shop what that stands for because it is called a transmission range sensor. I am an expert when it comes to these transmissions, I work on 2 a week and I know these inside out and can answer any questions you have about them. Please reconsider my help because I have been building transmissions for 20 years.