Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience
14297198

Dodge: 5.7L v8 hemi, I have two codes..check engine light

I have a 04 dodge ram, 5.7L v8 hemi, I have two codes P2305 and P2175. the check engine light is not on. On occasion i get a red light at the lower right corner of the dash, looks like a lightning bolt in between parenthesis, the check engine light will also come on. when this light comes on I have limited or no acceleration, and the engine will die after a few minutes. I can shit the ignition off wait a few minutes and start the engine, everything will run ok.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Josh replied 5 years ago.
Ok, P2175 is the one that's causing your issue with acceleration, It sets due to insufficent air flow being detected through the throttle body. There is a service bulletin regarding this issue, I've included the repair information below.

Inspect the air induction system including the air filter element, resonator, air induction
hoses and throttle body, for restriction and/or large accumulations of silty deposits on air
flow surfaces.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Remove the throttle body from the intake manifold.

CAUTION: Use only Mopar Brake Parts Cleaner, p/n 04897150AB or 04897151AB, as
the use of other cleaners may damage components of the throttle body.
Use this cleaner only in a well ventilated area. Do not let this cleaner
come in contact with the skin. Rubber or butyl gloves are recommended.
Wash thoroughly after use. Avoid eye contact. Avoid ingesting.

2. While holding the throttle open, spray the throttle body bore with Mopar Brake Parts
Cleaner, p/n 04897150AB or 04897151AB. Spray the entire throttle body bore and the
manifold side of the throttle plate.

3. Use a soft cloth to help break loose deposits to clean the throttle body bore and
throttle plate. While holding the throttle open, clean both the top and bottom of the
throttle body bore. Also clean the manifold side and edges of the throttle plate.

NOTE: Take due care not to scratch, bend, or dent throttle plate and/or throttle body
bore.

NOTE: It is important this cleaning operation be performed thoroughly and
completely. The edge of the throttle plate and the portion of the throttle body
bore that is in the closest proximity to the closed throttle plate is the most
critical area where the cleaning should be concentrated. This area must be
free of all deposits when the cleaning is completed.

4. Spray the throttle body with, Mopar Brake Parts Cleaner, p/n 04897150AB or
04897151AB, and then blow dry with compressed shop air. Inspect for any foreign
material which may have been left behind during the cleaning process.
CAUTION: Do not apply shop air pressure directly into the throttle shaft and throttle
body housing holes.

5. Open and close the throttle plate on the throttle body to verify that there is no
increased effort when moving from the closed position. If the condition is corrected,
proceed to the next step. If the increased effort still exists, then some other condition
exists with the throttle body and further diagnosis and repair will be necessary and will
not be covered by this repair procedure.

6. Install the throttle body on the intake manifold.

7. Open and close the throttle to verify that there is no increased effort when moving from
the closed throttle position. If the condition is corrected, proceed to the next step. If the
increased effort still exists, then some other condition exists with the throttle linkage
and further diagnosis and repair will be necessary.

P 2305 is set for insufficient ionization on the number 2 coil. Most commonly we see this code set for worn spark plugs(due every 30,000) or a failed spark plug wire.

Most likely your issues will be resolved if you make sure the air filter is clean, clean the throttle body, and replace the spark plugs and inspect the ignition wires.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.
Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there a gasket under the throttle body that I need to replace.
Also I just put in a set of spark plugs, so I'm thinking plug wires for code p2305
Expert:  Josh replied 5 years ago.
It has a seal, it's designed to be reusable. I'd try a set of wires then, if you buy the OE set they come already installed in the plastic routing tray so you can just swap it out and plug everything in, instead of trying to route all of the wires across the engine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Josh replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome, let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.