bill
bill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  21 yrs in the field 19 with Dodge Chrysler Jeep,expert in electrical drivability

dodge neon code 43. Engine misfire. I am having problem that

dodge neon code 43. Engine misfire.
I am having problem that when the car warms up the car will start to load up and miss. I have changed out the plugs and wires. The new plugs are black and not burning properly. I checked the compression on each cylinder and reads 180 psi. The fuel rail reads 50 psi. I have checked the coil resistance and that is good. I did replace the cam position sensor. I also checked the plugs to the pcm. I looked at the wires on the fuse box and no corrosion. At this point I am at a loss.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.

hi i'm bill

sounds like you may have an oxygen sensor going bad and giving the computer a false lean signal this will drive the computer rich,also a bad egr valve (if it has one, some did some didn't) can cause this, code 43 is an invalid code so i must assume you tried to cycle the key to get it in 96 and for a few years th ekey cycle method of retriving codes was discontinued BUT the computer would still flash out a code this was for engineering not for us in the field, proper codes are retrieved with a code reader and will be a "P" code (Pxxx)

bill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 21 yrs in the field 19 with Dodge Chrysler Jeep,expert in electrical drivability
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are correct it is a 96 neon and I did get the code from the ignition. The car runs good when it is cold. Only when the car gets warm does it sputter and cut out.
Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.

if you can get any "p" codes for me i can better assist you if you don't have a scanner most autoparts stores can retrive them for you like autozone or advance i strongly suspect the oxygen sensor the egr will cause issues when cold and warm USUALLY the oxygen sensor comes into play after it warms up some remember "garbage in garbage out"

i am going offline for the night(geting late here in the east) i will reply tommorrow morning if needed

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have erased the codes. I will have to drive until the codes appear. I will the get the codes read and post.

You might be able to help with a cavalier fuel enabel code p1629.

Thanks

Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.
i can help with the neon but not with the chevy i have worked too long on dodges to know the real differences between the 2 but i looked up P1629 and it is a theft deterrent code specific to GM a chevy tech wil be able to help better
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No problem. I still have to get the codes read on the neon will get them later today.

Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just had the code read it states P0304 number 4 cylinder misfire.
Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.
ok with compression good i would look at injectors pull the rail and look for gas on the tips indicating a leak that will cause the misfire and soot on the plugs also in a very few cases the computer can fail and keep the injector open too long that would be checked with a noid light if it dosent flash or stays on constantly the injector driver in the computer is mostlikely bad
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I never pulled injectors. After the fuel rail is out do the injectors just pull out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I connected the noid on each injector connection and they all flashed. I pulled the fuel rail and the injectors they all appeared to be normal. Number four was a little dirtier that the rest. I cleaned with carb cleaner and reinstalled the injectors. I drove the car for about one hour and the car did not miss at all. I think that one of the injectors must not have been seated properly and had a vacuum leak. My son is going to run the car home about 45 miles. He is to let me know how it runs. I cleared the cel and hope that it does not return. If it does I think that I may have to change the injectors. I also put Lucas injector cleaner in the gas tank.

I appreciate your help on this I was definatly going in the wrong direction. I will keep this open for a week in case I still need help and the problem reoccures.

Thanks Again greatly appreciated you are a godsend.

Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.
you may try having the injectors professionally pressure cleaned this will cost far less than 4 injectors and works about 90% of the time as an alternative to replacing a dirty injector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that is good advice thanks
Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.
your welcome