BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan: warning light..air bag..seat belt..seat back

My 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan has a warning light on dash with a air bag/seat belt on it. It goes on and off radonly but seem to some way be connected to moving the seat back and forth.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

First try to get the codes out of the onboard system.

Without Scan Tool

OBTAINING DTC'S USING IGNITION KEY

1. Cycle the ignition key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON within 5 seconds .
  2. The odometer will show the P-code for the DTC code number. Refer to the DTC chart for a detailed explanation of the DTC codes.
  3. If no DTC's are present, the cluster will display one of two texts: "P1684" and "done" or only "done".
    • "P1684" is only a status and indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles and does not indicate a problem.
    • "done" indicates that NO DTCs are present and the procedure is complete.
let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,
Bob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you instructed and I first saw a code of PO442 and than PO455 followed by done.
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Neither one of these are air bag codes. Do you have access to a scanner?

Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I going up to Advance auto to get a part for the van. I know they look at the code for check engine but will they do the same for an air bag code.
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
They should. Let me know what the code is.

bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just got back from Advance auto and the two codes are PO442 (small evap leak) and PO455 (large evap leak). The air bag/seat belt light went on once on the way over but the time I got there it was off. Any suggestions on what going on. Also all the information I've read on Alldata site that I subscribe to keep mentioning about the seat belt retractor might be damage and has a switch in it that might be the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am I still going to get a answer back?

Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
If the light is not on you can't get a code for air bags. The seat bvelt could be 1 possibility, but without a code you are shooting in the dark. Since it seems to be when the seat is moved check the seat that is being moved. Look for any frayed wires around the seat belt connectors.

bob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience