sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2002 dodge ram 1500: obd..2wd..8 cylinders vin : 3d7ha18n42g174552 .

need definition for obd fault code p1491 for a 2002 dodge ram 1500 pickup 2wd.4.7l engine size. 8 cylinders vin : 3d7ha18n42g174552 . milage about 700000.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P1491 is for the a/c condensor fan relay's control circuit. This isn't an uncommon code to set. Find the condensor fan fuse in the fuse box, I believe it's fuse 39 (but could be wrong). You should find that the fuse has blown. If it has, you'll need to have the fan assembly replaced. All parts of the fan have been revised a few times along the way. The shroud and blade have been changed to stop water accumulation at the bottom, and the motor itself has gone through changes to make it last longer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what totaly consists of the fan asembly unit
The fan will come as whole assembly. It comes as a motor, shroud, and blade, ready to install.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do you happen to know approximately what the parts would cost?

It will run $197 at a dealer. You can get one at www.moparonlineparts.com for $129.79. The part number is XXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After assemling, will i need to do something to reset the check engine light?
The light will go off on it's own after about three days of driving after the fan and fuse are replaced. If you want it off quicker you can disconnect the battery and that will clear the engine controller's memory and the light will stay off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could it possibly just be the fuse because the truck does not overheat.also may i add that the ac turns on and off.Would this be due to the fan circuit not working properly?
This is the condensor fan, seperate from engine cooling. The engine has it's own mechanical fan, this electric fan is only for the condensor, mounted off to the left side under the hood. If the fuse is blown it's because the fan motor is failing and drawing too much current. When this fan stops working the a/c may work ok going down the road but it will warm up if you sit still for long enough because there is no airflow over the condensor to keep it cool.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could this have anything to do with the thermostat or could any of this involve it, In which case should maybe be replaced also?

No, this isn't related to the engine cooling system at all. This is an electrical problem with the a/c condensor fan's relay.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist