There was a TSB released to address this concern. The repair involves re-flashing the engine controller to prevent this code from setting.
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Engine Control Module
(ECM) with new software.
2003 - 2005 (DR / DH) Ram Truck
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.9L turbo diesel engine
(sales codes ETC and ETH respectively).
The following enhancements are included with this software:
1. Improved engine cooling (radiator fan activation) and prevention of possible engine
overheat. When coolant temperature faults are present the radiator fan is enabled
(turned on) during vehicle operation.
2. Correction to oil pressure reading when engine is operating at higher engine
temperatures above 91°C (195°F).
3. Improvement to the Temperature Sensor Rationality Test to prevent possible false test
failures and the following related Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's):
a. DTC P0071 - Inlet Air Temperature Sensor Rationality.
b. DTC P0111 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Rationality.
c. DTC P0514 - Battery Temperature Sensor Rationality.
4. Additional Water-In-Fuel (WIF) warning added to indicate that the operator has had a
WIF DTC P2269 and has continued to operate (drive) the vehicle in excess of 500
miles without draining the water from the fuel filter. The following is the new WIF DTC
that has been added:
a. DTC P0169 - WIF Too Long Error
5. ** Improvement to the Fuel Pressure Rationality Test to prevent possible false test
failures and the following related Diagnostic Trouble Code:
a. DTC P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Performance (2004.5 to 2005 M.Y.