brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 engine code P0175 - Fuel is lean How do

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 engine code P0175 - Fuel is lean
How do to get the truck from running lean? I have put gas treatment in the tank, change gas stations, put a higher upgrade in fuel.

What do I check now?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

I will attach some information on the code. It is possible the oxygen sensor is not reading correctly and not the engine running lean. Also need to check fuel pressure.....see information below.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

• O2 Sensor heater operation
  • EVAP purge solenoid operation
  • O2 Signal circuit
  • O2 Return circuit
  • O2 Sensor
  • MAP Sensor
  • ECT Sensor
  • Engine mechanical
  • Fuel filter/pressure regulator (high)
  • PCM

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1.ACTIVE DTC

NOTE: Check for contaminates that may have damaged an O2 Sensor: contaminated fuel, unapproved silicone, oil and coolant.

Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, read DTCs.

Q: Is the DTC active at this time?

YES: Go To 2
NO: Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

2.CHECKING FUEL PRESSURE

WARNING: THE FUEL SYSTEM IS UNDER A CONSTANT PRESSURE (EVEN WITH THE ENGINE OFF). BEFORE TESTING OR SERVICING ANY FUEL SYSTEM HOSE, FITTING OR LINE, THE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE MUST BE RELEASED. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

Install a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, actuate the ASD Fuel System test and observe the fuel pressure gauge.

NOTE: Fuel pressure specification is 407 kPa ±34 kPa (59 psi ±5 psi) .

Turn the ignition off.

CAUTION: Stop All Actuations.

Choose a conclusion that best matches your fuel pressure reading.
Within Specification
Go To 3
Above Specification
Replace the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

3.O2 SENSOR OPERATION
Start the engine.
Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.

NOTE:

• If one of the O2 Sensors Signal or Return circuit is shorted to ground or voltage, all the other O2 Sensor voltage readings will be affected.
  • After the repairs have been made, verify proper O2 Sensor operation. If all the O2 Sensor voltage readings have not returned to normal, follow the diagnostic procedure for the remaining O2 Sensors.

With the scan tool, monitor the 2/1 O2 Sensor voltage reading.

Q: Is the voltage switching between 2.5 and 3.4 volts?

YES: Go To 4
NO: Go To 9

4.2/1 O2 SENSOR HEATER OPERATION
Turn the ignition off.

NOTE: Wait a minimum of 10 minutes to allow the O2 Sensor to cool down before continuing the test. Allow the O2 Sensor voltage to stabilize at 5.0 volts .

Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, perform the 2/1 O2 Heater Test for each O2 Sensor.
With the scan tool, monitor the 2/1 O2 Sensor voltage while performing the Heater test for at least 2 minutes .

Q: Does the voltage stay above 4.5 volts for each Sensor?

YES: Replace the 2/1 O2 Sensor. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test
NO: Go To 5

5.MAP SENSOR OPERATION
Turn the ignition off.
Connect a Vacuum Gauge to a Manifold Vacuum source.
Start the engine.
Allow the engine to idle.

NOTE: If engine will not idle, maintain a constant RPM above idle.

With the scan tool, read the MAP Sensor vacuum value.

Q: Is the scan tool reading within 1 inches of the Vacuum Gauge reading?

YES: Go To 6
NO: Replace the MAP Sensor. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

NOTE: Remove the vacuum gauge before continuing.

6.ECT SENSOR OPERATION

NOTE:

• For this test to be valid, the thermostat must be operating correctly.
  • This test works best if performed on a cold engine (cold soak).

Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, read the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor value. If the engine was allowed to sit overnight (cold soak), the temperature value should be a sensible value that is somewhere close to the ambient temperature.

NOTE: If engine coolant temperature is above 82°C (180°F) , allow the engine to cool until 65°C (150°F) is reached.

Start the Engine.
During engine warm-up, monitor the Engine Coolant Temperature value. The temp value change should be a smooth transition from start up to normal operating temp 82°C (180°F) . The value should reach at least 82°C (180°F).

Q: Did the ECT value increase smoothly and reach at least 180°F (82°C)?

YES: Go To 7
NO: Replace the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

7.EVAP PURGE SOLENOID OPERATION
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the hoses at the Evap Purge Solenoid.
Using a hand vacuum pump, apply 10 inches of vacuum to the Evap Purge Solenoid vacuum source port on the component side.

Q: Did the Evap Purge Solenoid hold vacuum?

YES: Go To 8
NO: Replace the EVAP Purge Solenoid. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

NOTE: Connect the vacuum hoses before continuing.

8.ENGINE MECHANICAL
Check for any of the following conditions/mechanical problems.
AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM - must be free from restrictions.
ENGINE VACUUM - must be at least 13 inches in neutral
ENGINE VALVE TIMING - must be within specifications
ENGINE COMPRESSION - must be within specifications
ENGINE EXHAUST SYSTEM - must be free of any restrictions or leaks.
ENGINE PCV SYSTEM - must flow freely
TORQUE CONVERTER STALL SPEED - must be within specifications
POWER BRAKE BOOSTER - no internal vacuum leaks
FUEL - must be free of contamination
FUEL INJECTOR - plugged or restricted injector; control wire not connected to correct injector

Q: Are there any engine mechanical problems?

YES: Repair as necessary. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test
NO: Go To 12

9.2/1 O2 SENSOR

Ignition on, engine not running.
Disconnect the 2/1 O2 Sensor harness connector.
With the scan tool, monitor the 2/1 O2 Sensor voltage.
O2 Sensor voltage should read 5.0 volts on the scan tool with the connector disconnected.
Connect a jumper wire between the (K43) O2 Sensor 2/1 Signal circuit and the (K902) O2 Return Upstream circuit in the O2 Sensor harness connector.

NOTE: The voltage should drop from 5.0 volts down to 2.5 volts with the jumper wire connected.

Q: Did the O2 Sensor voltage drop from 5 volts to 2.5 volts when the jumper wire was installed?

YES: Replace the O2 Sensor. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test
NO: Go To 10

NOTE: Remove the jumper wire before continuing.

10.O2 SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT

WARNING: WHEN THE ENGINE IS OPERATING, DO NOT STAND IN DIRECT LINE WITH THE FAN. DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS NEAR THE PULLEYS, BELTS, OR FAN. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

Start the engine.
Measure the voltage on the (K43) O2 Sensor 2/1 Signal circuit in the O2 Sensor harness connector.

Q: Is the voltage above 4.8 volts?

YES: Check the (K43) O2 Sensor 2/1 Signal circuit for damage, short to ground, open, or short to voltage. Inspect the O2 Sensor connector and the PCM harness connector. If OK, replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test
NO: Go To 11

11.(K902) O2 SENSOR RETURN UPSTREAM CIRCUIT

Engine still running.
Measure the voltage on the (K902) O2 Return Upstream circuit in the O2 Sensor harness connector.

Q: Is the voltage at 2.5 volts?

YES: Go To 12
NO: Check the (K902) O2 Return Upstream circuit for damage, short to ground, open, or short to voltage. Inspect the O2 Sensor connector and the PCM harness connector. If OK, replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

NOTE: Turn the ignition off before continuing.

12.PCM

NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.

Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits.

Q: Were there any problems found?

NO: Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,