moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp

2006 Dodge Dakota, How do I remove the steering wheel, I am

Customer Question

2006 Dodge Dakota, How do I remove the steering wheel, I am replacing the wiper switch. Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.

You will need to remove the air bag and then remove the steering wheel hold down nut and then you will need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off.if you dont have one most parts stores rent them out.

moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
ALLDATA OnlineHome | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference
Component Search:
Conversion Calculator

2006 Dodge Truck Dakota 2WD V8-4.7L VIN J

Vehicle Level Lighting and Horns Combination Switch Service and Repair
Service and Repair
Notes

WARNING: TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, AIRBAG, OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM,
SEAT BELT TENSIONER, IMPACT SENSOR, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.
  3. Disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connectors from the upper clockspring connector receptacles. CAUTION: Be certain that the screws that secure the steering wheel puller to the steering wheel are fully engaged in the steering wheel armature without passing through the steering wheel and damaging the clockspring.
  4. Remove the steering wheel from the steering column.
  5. Grasp the tilt steering column knob (2) firmly and pull it straight rearward to remove it from the tilt adjuster lever (1) on the left side of the column.

1. From below the steering column, remove the two outboard screws that secure the upper column shroud (1) to the lower shroud (3).
  2. Using hand pressure, press inward on both sides of the upper shroud above the parting line of the lower shroud to release the snap features that secure the two shroud halves to each other.
  3. Remove the upper shroud from the lower shroud and the steering column.
  4. Remove the one center screw that secures the lower shroud to the steering column (4).

1. Remove the lower shroud from the steering column.
  2. Disconnect the wire harness connector (2) from the back of the multi-function switch housing (1).
  3. Remove the two screws (4) that secure the switch to the multi-function switch mounting housing (3).
  4. Grasp the switch control stalk and pull it toward the left side of the vehicle to remove the switch from the mounting housing.

INSTALLATION

1. Slide the multi-function switch (1) into the multifunction switch mounting housing (3) from the left side. Be certain that the alignment pins on the top and bottom of the switch are properly engaged in the channels of the mounting housing.
  2. Install and tighten the two screws (4) that secure the switch to the mounting housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N.m (20 in. lbs.) .
  3. Reconnect the wire harness connector (2) to the back of the switch.

1. Position the lower shroud (3) onto the steering column (4).
  2. From below the steering column, install and tighten the one center screw that secures the lower shroud to the steering column. Tighten the screw to 2 N.m (20 in. lbs.) .
  3. Position the upper shroud (1) onto the steering column over the lower shroud. Be certain to engage the gearshift lever gap hider into the opening in the right side of both shroud halves.
  4. Align the snap features on the upper shroud with the receptacles in the lower shroud and apply hand pressure to snap them together.
  5. Install and tighten the two outboard screws that secure the upper shroud to the lower shroud. Tighten the screws to 2 N.m (20 in. lbs.) .

1. Align the tilt steering column knob (2) with the tilt adjuster lever (1) on the left side of the steering column and use hand pressure to snap it back into place. NOTE: When reinstalling the steering wheel, be certain to index the yellow rubber booted engagement dowel on the upper surface of the clockspring rotor between the two fins cast into the lower surface of the steering wheel armature hub.
  2. Reinstall the steering wheel onto the steering column.
  3. Reconnect the steering wheel wire harness connectors to the upper clockspring connector receptacles. Be certain that the steering wheel wire harness is routed between the steering wheel back trim cover and the steering wheel armature.
  4. Reinstall the driver airbag onto the steering wheel.
  5. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.

Component Search:
Conversion Calculator

Vehicle Level Restraint Systems Air Bag Systems Air Bag Service and Repair Air Bag-Driver Removal and Installation
Removal and Installation
Notes

AIR BAG-DRIVER

WARNING: TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, AIRBAG, OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, IMPACT SENSOR, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT.

NOTE: The following procedure is for replacement of a faulty or damaged driver airbag. If the airbag is faulty or damaged, but not deployed, review the recommended procedures for handling non-deployed supplemental restraints. If the driver airbag has been deployed, review the recommended procedures for service after a supplemental restraint deployment before removing the airbag from the vehicle.

REMOVAL

WARNING:

• TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, WHEN REMOVING A DEPLOYED AIRBAG, RUBBER GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, AND A LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT SHOULD BE WORN. THERE MAY BE DEPOSITS ON THE AIRBAG CUSHION AND OTHER INTERIOR SURFACES. IN LARGE DOSES, THESE DEPOSITS MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO THE SKIN AND EYES .

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
  2. From the underside of the steering wheel, remove the two screws (3) that secure the driver airbag (1) to the steering wheel armature (2). CAUTION: Do not pull on the horn switch feed pigtail wire to disengage the connector from the driver airbag housing or to disconnect the horn switch to steering wheel wire harness connection. Improper pulling on this pigtail wire or connection can result in damage to the horn switch membrane or feed circuit.

1. Pull the driver airbag (1) away from the steering wheel far enough to access the three electrical connections on the back of the airbag housing.
  2. Disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connector for the horn switch (2) from the horn switch feed pigtail wire connector (4), which is located on the back of the driver airbag housing. CAUTION: Do not pull on the clockspring pigtail wires or pry on the connector insulator to disengage the connector from the driver airbag inflator connector receptacle. Improper removal of these pigtail wires and their connector insulators can result in damage to the airbag circuits or connector insulators.
  3. The clockspring driver airbag pigtail wire connectors (3) are secured by integral latches to the airbag inflator connector receptacles, which are located on the back of the driver airbag housing. Depress the latches on each side of the connector insulator and pull the insulators straight out from the airbag inflator to disconnect them from the connector receptacles.
  4. Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.
  5. If the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced.

INSTALLATION

WARNING:

• TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, USE EXTREME CARE TO PREVENT ANY FOREIGN MATERIAL FROM ENTERING THE DRIVER AIRBAG, OR BECOMING ENTRAPPED BETWEEN THE DRIVER AIRBAG CUSHION AND THE DRIVER AIRBAG TRIM COVER. FAILURE TO OBSERVE THIS WARNING COULD RESULT IN OCCUPANT INJURIES UPON AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT.
  • TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, THE DRIVER AIRBAG TRIM COVER MUST NEVER BE PAINTED. REPLACEMENT AIRBAGS ARE SERVICED WITH TRIM COVERS IN THE ORIGINAL COLORS. PAINT MAY CHANGE THE WAY IN WHICH THE MATERIAL OF THE TRIM COVER RESPONDS TO AN AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT. FAILURE TO OBSERVE THIS WARNING COULD RESULT IN OCCUPANT INJURIES UPON AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT .

1. Position the driver airbag (1) close enough to the steering wheel to reconnect the three electrical connections on the back of the airbag housing.
  2. When installing the driver airbag, reconnect the two clockspring driver airbag pigtail wire connectors (3) to the airbag inflator connector receptacles by pressing straight in on the connector. Be certain to engage each keyed and color-coded connector to the matching connector receptacle. You can be certain that each connector is fully engaged in its receptacle by listening carefully for a distinct, audible click as the connector latches snap into place.
  3. Reconnect the steering wheel wire harness connector (2) for the horn switch to the horn switch feed pigtail wire connector (4), which is located on the back of the driver airbag housing.

1. Carefully position the driver airbag (1) in the steering wheel (2). Be certain that the clockspring pigtail wires and the steering wheel wire harness in the steering wheel hub area are not pinched between the driver airbag and the steering wheel armature.
  2. From the underside of the steering wheel, install and tighten the two screws (3) that secure the driver airbag to the steering wheel armature. Tighten the screws to 10 N.m (90 in. lbs ).
  3. Do not reconnect the battery negative cable at this time. The supplemental restraint system verification test procedure should be performed following service of any supplemental restraint system component.

Terms of Use