David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

I own a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4 . The

Customer Question

I own a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4 . The axle seal is leaking on the Passeneger side in the front differential. I understand that this side is alot easier than the drivers as in Costa Rica they quoted me 2 days to complete both. Lets just say the mechanics are a bit scary at the best of times here . I would like to get your advice on how to change just the leaky seal and if i can get away without any specialty tools as they are very hard to come by in Costa Rica. any schematics and drawings would be helpful . I bought the seals for both sides when i was back in Canada for a visit part #'s 1-04506005 and 1-04116366.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately these seals are a real pain and do require special tools to install them.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove the brake caliper and rotor. Refer toBrakes, for proper procedures.
  4. Remove ABS wheel speed sensor, if equipped. Refer toBrakes, for proper procedures.
  5. Remove the cotter pin and axle hub nut.
  6. Remove the hub to knuckle bolts Hub and Knuckle Remove the hub bearing from the steering knuckle and axle shaft.
  7. Remove the brake dust shield.
  8. Remove the axle shaft from the housing. Avoid damaging the axle shaft oil seal.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was hoping you could give me specific info on just changing the passenger side seal. I heard it is alot easier to change than the drivers because you do not have to remove the gear carrier .
Start with the axle removal from the instructions I sent. Remove the shift motor, that will open up the seal so you can see it. Knock it out of the housing and reinstall. It will be difficult to get it back in without the tool to make sure it is seated flush in the housing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i found the tool for sale on the internet looks like it pulls it into place. What tips do you have for positioning the seal and it looks like i need the replacement kit QK4620. one kit allows you to position the seal where you want and the other sets it to factory you think it is possible to position without kit ...with a socket and a rod?? please check out the webpage and advise The one dodge dealership in Costa Rica will not give me a quotation to just replace the seal on the passenger side ..they say they are not sure how long it will take ..maybe 2 days...I am not comfortable with this answer ,,,they should have a book to tell them this no>>>?? Sounds like they want to hose me bad.
The portion of that sets the seal in place fits inside the seal housing and the other portion which is basically a threaded rod pulls in into place. You'll be able to feel when the seal is fully seated because the pressure changes.