sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2006 dodge ram 1500 ac isnt quite as cold as it should

My 2006 dodge ram 1500 ac isn't quite as cold as it should be. At middle register with ac on max, blower on max, I am getting 50 to 53 degrees . I have a manifold, but am not sure what pressures (suction and discharge) should be. Compressor doesnt cycle while idling,just stays on. Suction press. is 30# Discharge press is 210# XXXXX XXXXX too low? thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Are you running it on recirculation when you are checking vent temp?

What is the temperature outside when you are checking the vent temp and pressures?

Is the recirculation door present and working?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not on recirc- Temp is 90 deg. Recirc door works

Ok. It sounds like your vent temperature is about in line with what I would expect it to be at 90 outside without recirc, but your pressures are a little low for temperatures that high. Any time you check vent temperature you have to have it on recirculation, blower motor on the number 3 position. At 90 degrees outside you should be seeing about 55 degrees out of the vent by the book, with it on recirculation and the blower motor on the third position. At 90 degrees ambient the low side pressure should be 30-40 psi and the high side should be 250-350. Even though your vent temperature is in acceptable range the pressures are pretty low for 90 degrees outside, you are low on charge. I would have it evacuated and recharged and you should see a drop in vent temp, and be sure to use the recirculation function when you are running the a/c.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I add a shot of freon without hurting anything? Am now on recirc and getting 53 deg. I have manifold and can monitor press.
You could put some in and watch the gauges to bring the pressures up a bit. This isn't accurate like a recovery machine would be but it will get you closer. I would bring the low side up closer to 40 psi and make sure the high side doesn't get too high.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How low should i keep high side?
Stay under 350 for sure. That's the high side of the spec for 90 degrees ambient. As long as the cooling fan is working ok you shouldn't have a problem with high pressure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Am now at 48.6 Deg. Suction at 42# Disch at 260#   Ambient 94 deg. I believe I'm about there Where can I get a chart that shows that type of info? What kind of comp does dodge use? Thanks so much for help!!! Worth every dime in both results and gain of knowledge!! ( I love to do my own mechanic work when I can- I have tools, just need a little tech advise some times) THANKS AGAIN!!

They don't give a nice big graph anymore, you have to estimate if you are in between. I tried to upload it to you but it seems we are having site problems and I can't upload pictures at the moment. I'll try again in a couple minutes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS!! email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX if that would help. Will send payment!
Here we go. graphic
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist