David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

how do I change the spark plugs on my 2000 durango with 5.9L

Customer Question

how do I change the spark plugs on my 2000 durango with 5.9L engine
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Here is the information on the plugs.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

REMOVAL

Heat Shields

On these engines, spark plug cable heat shields are pressed into the cylinder head to surround each cable boot and spark plug.

If removal of the heat shield(s) is necessary, remove the spark plug cable and compress the sides of shield for removal. Each shield is slotted to allow for compression and removal. To install the shields, align shield to machined opening in cylinder head and tap into place with a block of wood.

1. Prior to removing spark plug, spray compressed air around spark plug hole and area around spark plug. This will help prevent foreign material from entering combustion chamber.
  2. Remove spark plug from cylinder head using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert.
  3. Always remove spark plug or ignition coil cables by grasping at the cable boot. Turn the cable boot 1/2 turn and pull straight back in a steady motion. Never pull directly on the cable. Internal damage to cable will result.
  4. Inspect spark plug condition. Refer to Spark Plug Conditions. Cleaning The plugs may be cleaned using commercially available spark plug cleaning equipment. After cleaning, file the center electrode fiat with a small point file or jewelers file before adjusting gap. CAUTION: Never use a motorized wire wheel brush to clean the spark plugs. Metallic deposits will remain on the spark plug insulator and will cause plug misfire. Gap Adjustment

Setting Spark Plug Gap-Typical

Check the spark plug gap with a gap gauge tool. If the gap is not correct, adjust it by bending the ground electrode. Never attempt to adjust the gap by bending the center electrode.

INSTALLATION
Special care should be taken when installing spark plugs into the cylinder head spark plug wells. Be sure the plugs do not drop into the plug wells as electrodes can be damaged.

Always tighten spark plugs to the specified torque. Over tightening can cause distortion resulting in a change in the spark plug gap or a cracked porcelain insulator.

When replacing the spark plug and ignition coil cables, route the cables correctly and secure them in the appropriate retainers. Failure to route the cables properly can cause the radio to reproduce ignition noise. It could cause cross ignition of the spark plugs or short circuit the cables to ground.

1. Start the spark plug into the cylinder head by hand to avoid cross threading.
  2. Tighten spark plugs to 35-41 Nm (26-30 ft. lbs.) torque.
  3. Install spark plug cables over spark plugs.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is not what my configuration looks like, there are not "normal" spark plug wires going to the spark plug wires. There are small diameter wires going into a small electrical connection at about a 45 degree angle, and a fuel injection tube across the top of the spark plug housings. I don't know how to disconnect the electrical connections,or how to remove the caps from the spark plugs.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Can you send me the vin# XXXXX the Durango?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1B4HS28Z1YF110878
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

I checked the vin# XXXXX came up with the same information?

I will opt out maybe another expert can help?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Expert:  David Dill replied 5 years ago.

Does your setup look like this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, I didn't need to ask a question in the first place, what I was explaining to you was the fuel injectors, so the correct response from you would have been, "You idiot, you're looking at the fuel injectors, not the spark plugs. I already know how to change spark plugs, but the fuel injectors looked like spark plugs to me, so I was confused.
No problem, are you all set?