moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp

I have a 2007 dodge durango. Recently the check engine light

I have a 2007 dodge durango. Recently the check engine light came on as well as the gas cap loose light. Of course I checked the gas cap and it was not loose. We took it to the dealership and they said "there is a hole in the hose or charcoal filter for the emissions/vapor recovery system"..they also said it was of course not covered by warranty..the total cost estimated to be 300$ to fix. My question is this something a person with a little sense could fix or does this call for the 300$ charge expert?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
yes this is something you can repair yourself these hoses are easy to replace you will need to find which one is cracked.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

two additional questions:

1. where are the hoses located and

2. will the check engine light and warning message disappear after the line has been changed?

Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
I will send you a picture of when the vapor canistor is check it as well as the lines that go to it to see which one is cracked or broken.once you make the repair unhook the battery for about 5 mins and this will reset the computer and turn the light off.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.

The EVAP canister (1) is located at the front of the fuel tank (3). The ESIM (Evaporative System Integrity Monitor) switch (2) is attached to the EVAP canister.

1.Raise and support vehicle.
2.Raise the transmission slightly with a service jack to relieve the load on the crossmember and supports.
3.Remove the bolts securing the rear support and cushion (2) to the transmission and crossmember (1).
4.Remove the bolts attaching the crossmember to the frame and remove the crossmember.

5.If equipped, remove the fuel tank skid plate.
6.Remove the electrical connector (3) at the ESIM switch.
7.Disconnect the rubber hose (2) from the ESIM switch.
8.Disconnect the quick-connect fitting (5) at the EVAP canister.

9.Three locking tabs are used to mount the canister (2) to its bracket, an upper tab, lower tab and an outer side tab. Press on the lower and the upper locking tab (1) to unlock the canister from the mounting bracket.
10.Depress the outer (third) mounting tab and slide the EVAP canister from the mounting bracket and remove the canister from the vehicle.