Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

99 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. Oil Spray all over bottom

99 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel.
Oil Spray all over bottom of engine...
Filled up oil pan with 4 extra quarts of oil...
Oil is leaking....
But now filled up oil pan again with 2 extra quarts. Leak in Engine??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

With any oil leak I recommend checking the PCV system. When there is a high crankcase pressure, the oil will be pushed out. Most times it seems to get out the rear main seal. That may not be the case with yours though.

The best way to be sure is to clean off all of the existing oil, (make sure it's full) then run the engine while you look to see if it is coming from the top, (below the valve covers) or if it is in between the engine and trans., that would be the rear main seal. But you will want to check the PCV system first, to make sure that the oil is not being forced out, thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok.. Mechanic yesterday... says that oil pan is possibly being filled up by the diesel fuel injectors pumping fluid into the oil?? (Is this possible???)
Oil pan has a breather hose... Overflow out of breather hose... Is this possible??

Mechanic also said there is a leak in the oil pan..

Leak appears to be coming from the front of the engine...
Could this be oil pan gasket or front seal??

Engine runs clean... No black of grey smoke when running...
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

There has been a service bulletin for the oil pan leak, involves sealing the gasket surface.

There has also been a service bulletin for the breather hose over flowing under certain conditions.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Owners of 1998 - 2002 (BR) Ram Trucks equipped with the 24-valve Cummins diesel engine may experience engine oil overflow from the front crankcase breather when the vehicle is operated off-road on an extreme downhill grade (37.5% or 22°slope/grade). Operation of this type for extended periods of time can cause enough engine oil depletion to damage the engine. A kit containing all components necessary to eliminate the oil overflow has been made available.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Truck is not used in extreme off road driving....
But is used in typical mountain driving (Colorado... Vail Pass)

Would this apply??
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Only if that is what is happening with it. However, if the engine is being over filled by the injector pump, the oil will leak out faster and have an effect on the crankcsase breathing system.

You will want to get the over filling of the engine oil fixed and then see if there even is an oil leak.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you troubleshoot overfilling of the oil pan???

What is this?? and how do you fix it...

How Does it OVERFILL????
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Well, if the oil level is at the max and then goes up after running the engine, that means that the oil is getting filled with fuel, (which is a form of oil) and that can be a stuck opened injector, (which would normally give you a miss) or a bad pump. You would have to do some extensive testing on it.

Fuel Injector Connections

The fuel injectors are located in the top of the cylinder head between the intake/exhaust valves.

A leaking fuel injector can cause fuel knock, poor performance, black smoke, poor fuel economy and rough engine idle. If fuel injector needle valve does not operate properly, engine may misfire and produce low power.

A leak in injection pump-to-injector high-pressure fuel line can cause many of same symptoms as malfunctioning injector. Inspect for leaks in high-pressure lines before checking for malfunctioning fuel injector.

WARNING:
  • THE INJECTION PUMP SUPPLIES HIGH- PRESSURE FUEL OF UP TO APPROXIMATELY 120,000 kPa (17,400 psi) TO EACH INDIVIDUAL INJECTOR THROUGH HIGH-PRESSURE LINES. FUEL UNDER THIS AMOUNT OF PRESSURE CAN PENETRATE SKIN AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. AVOID CONTACT WITH FUEL SPRAY WHEN BLEEDING HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LINES.
  • DO NOT BLEED AIR FROM FUEL SYSTEM OF A HOT ENGINE. DO NOT ALLOW FUEL TO SPRAY ONTO EXHAUST MANIFOLD WHEN BLEEDING AIR FROM FUEL SYSTEM.

Inspecting Injector Operation

1. To determine which fuel injector is malfunctioning, run engine and isolate each cylinder using DRB scan tool. Note RPM drop for each cylinder. As an alternative, loosen high-pressure fuel line fitting at fuel injector connector tube. Listen for a change in engine speed. After testing, tighten line fitting to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque. If engine speed drops, injector was operating normally. If engine speed remains same, injector may be malfunctioning. Test all injectors in same manner one at a time.
  2. Once injector has been found to be malfunctioning, remove it from engine and test it. Refer to Fuel Injector Removal/Installation. WARNING: FUEL INJECTOR TESTERS CAN DEVELOP EXTREMELY HIGH PRESSURES. FUEL UNDER THIS AMOUNT OF PRESSURE CAN PENETRATE SKIN AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. AVOID CONTACT WITH FUEL SPRAY WHEN OPERATING INJECTOR TESTER.

Fuel Injector Tester And Adapter Tool

Installing Injector To Adapter Tool 8301

1. After injector has been removed, obtain bench- mount fuel injector tester OTC® (SPX®) part number 4210 (or equivalent). Install Special Tool number 8301 (Fuel Injector Adapter) to 4210 tester. Install fuel injector into 8301 adapter. Be sure tip of adapter tool 8301 is aligned to inlet hole at side of injector before tightening tool. tighten tool 8301 to injector. Position container below injector before testing.
  2. Refer to operating instructions supplied with pressure tester for procedures.
    1. Check opening pressure or "pop" pressure. Pressure should be approximately 31,026 kPa (310 bars) or (4500 psi ±250 psi) . If fuel injector needle valve is opening (popping) too early or too late, replace injector.
    2. Perform a leak-down test on injector. Apply pressure with injector tester. The injector should not leak (drip) fuel with pressure at approximately 20 bars (291 psi) lower than pop pressure.
    3. Operate tester lever quickly several times to check injector spray pattern. Verify fuel is spraying from each injector nozzle hole. Injector should also spray evenly from each nozzle hole.
    4. Pay attention to size and shape of spray plumes. They should all be equal. If possible, compare spray pattern to that of a new fuel injector with same part number. Checking each plume for consistency is an excellent indicator of injector performance. Even if only one nozzle hole is plugged, significant performance problems could result.
    5. Look for burrs on injector inlet.
    6. Check nozzle holes for hole erosion or plugging.
    7. Inspect end of nozzle for burrs or rough machine marks.
    8. Look for cracks at nozzle end.
    9. Check nozzle color for signs of overheating. Overheating will cause nozzle to turn a dark yellow/ tan or blue (depending on overheating temperature).
    10. Look at end of injector tube where it meets injector. A small, shiny band should be seen at this point. The band should have a consistent thickness, If not, injector could be leaking into fuel return.
    11. If any of these conditions occur, replace injector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We don't have knock, smoke or any other type of problem with the engine..

The only issues that we can see is that twice the oil pan has filled with oil....
and there is oil splashed all over the under body of the engine....

So could it still be this bad injector or bad pump??
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Yes, most definatly.
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech