bryang
bryang, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician chrysler expert

2001 dodge: diesel..eng..the process of changing ball joints

Customer Question

hello. I have a 2001 dodge 2500 w/diesel eng. In the process of changing ball joints. Hub nut removed, 4 hub to knuckle bolts removed. Have put heat, pipe wedged against frame and knuckle bolt, puller, and beat it with a 5lb sledge. Still cant remove hub from knuckle. Any help on how to remove hub will be greatly appreciated. Trade-in is sounding good right now!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bryang replied 5 years ago.
Hi Kenny, What we usuall do is put a 7/8 or so socket and put it between the axle u-joint and the axle tube and then start the truck and turn the steening wheel to pop the hub bearing out. You may need someone to turn the steering while you use a hammer to help dislodge the hub.

You can also use the hub holt to remove the bearing, remove the hub bolt half way and then leave the socket on the bolt and use the steering as above to pop the bearing out.

I hope this helps you,
Bryan.

Please hit the ACCEPT button if I have answered your question.
Expert:  bryang replied 5 years ago.
Below is the removal procedure found in the service manual.

REMOVAL - 2500/3500
Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
Remove the hub extension mounting nuts and remove the extension from the rotor if equipped (Hub Extension).
Remove the brake caliper, (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/DISC BRAKE CALIPERS - REMOVAL).
Remove the cotter pin and the hub nut from the axle shaft (Hub Nut Cotter Pin).
Disconnect the ABS wheel speed sensor wire from under the hood. Remove the sensor wire from the frame and steering knuckle if equipped.
Back off the hub/bearing mounting bolts 1/4 inch each (Hub/Bearing Mounting Bolts). Then tap the bolts with a hammer to loosen the hub/bearing from the steering knuckle.
Remove the hub/bearing mounting bolts and remove the hub/bearing.
Remove the rotor assembly (Rotor Hub/Bearing Assembly), brake shield and spacer from the steering knuckle.
Press out the wheel studs/hub extension studs and separate the rotor from the hub (Rotor And Hub/Bearing).
Remove the wheel speed sensor (Wheel Speed Sensor) from the hub bearing if equipped.
bryang, Dodge Technician
Experience: Auto Technician chrysler expert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan. I have done all that and this ram is just not cooperating. After 4 hours of beating,prying, wedging, heating, I will try 1 more time. After that its box her up and to the dealer we go.
Expert:  bryang replied 5 years ago.
If you put the socket between the u-joint and axle housing and have someone crank on the steering wheel [vehicle running], while you beat on it with a hammer it should come apart, I haven't had one that doesn't but I have had to use the hammer lots.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan,put socket between u-joint and axle housing and had someone crankin on the steering wheel while i hammered my ___ off. but no luck. Soaking it down with pb blaster(rust inhibitor). I'll try again in an hour.
Expert:  bryang replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, If that doesn't work then I don't know what you can do, at our dealer we have a slide hammer that's about 10 lbs that might work.
So you might have to try a dealer, I would try it a couple more times though.

Bryan.