chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master ase certified, master chrysler dodge jeep over 250 factory trained schools

2001 ram 1500: my camper

Customer Question

My 2001 ram 1500 5.2l skips and bucks and runs rough intermittently when pulling my camper. Other times seems to be fine
Category: Dodge
Expert:  chris replied 7 years ago.
welcome to ja
great truck

this sounds like a secondary ignition miss fire when under a load

please take a good luck at the plug wires going around the back of the vavle covers where the sit in the looms that hold them in place
you will be looking for a grayish white mark indicating the plug is arcing to gound under a hard load such as when pulling you camper

remove the coil wire from teh center of the dist. cap and see if it has any corrosiion on the nipple coming of the cap and inside the wire iteself
these are both common issues and mine did the same thing when i was pulling my harley and ran perfectly the rest of the time
all i had to do was tune her up with new plugs wires cap and rotor button

let me know