Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

I want to install a brake controller on my 2005 ram 1500 qua

Customer Question

I want to install a brake controller on my 2005 ram 1500 quad cab. I cannot find the brake control harness under the dash. please help..
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 years ago.

If your vehicle was ordered with Tow wiring:

Vehicles equipped with the trailer tow package also include an electric trailer brake wiring provision that terminates at a connector located on top of the large body harness connection under the instrument panel to the left of the brake pedal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and if there isn't a connector there? I bought the truck used and don't know if it had the trailer package...

If there is no connection, then the vehicle probably didn't come with the Tow Package & you would need to purchase Aftermarket Tow wiring & Brake Contoller Harness.
There are a number of On-Line Trailer Wiring Shops or you may be able to purchase locally at a Trailer / Hitch Shop

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wouldn't I just be able to cut the dodge connector that came with my new controller? Then I just need to figure out where all the correct wires are?

Does your truck have a Tow Connector at the rear bumper now with wires ran to the cab?
Is it Factory installed or Aftermarket?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It had the 4 pin flat. Last year I installed a 7 from the 4 pin and ran a hot lead to the battery with a circuit breaker. but now I need a brake controller... so that is where I stand.. thanks

If the 4 pin was Factory & you converted to 7 pin, by adding wires, then you would have to splice into your new wiring, as there would not be a plug for the 4 pin.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The 7 pin I bought had a 4 pin built in.. that's not the problem, I just don't know where to find the correct color wires on the ram, for the new brake controller...

That was my question..........
Is this a Factory Tow wire harness (4 pin) or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Teh original 4 pin seemed to be factory.. the 7 pin I added was afterrmarket

I will relist this, as I have very limited info on the 4 pin & if it is Aftermarket

sorry.............

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am confused. I just need the location and color of the brake wire that I need to connect to the brake controller..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I figured it out, I put a test lamp on circuits and depressed the brake until I had power... it's the white and tan wire... thanks anyway
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

Hello, my name is Mark.

If you are unable to find the factory plug in for the controller, then you will need to wire this yourself.

Your controller will have 4 wires.

One is power.......I'd run this direct to the battery using an inline fuse.

One is ground....

One is the inout from the brake light switch.........this is a white/tan wire at the brake switch.

And the last wire, I would run direct to the 7 pin connector, running the wire along the frame rail.

Here is a pic, if it helps you.

graphic