sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2006 dodge grand caravan has multiple electrical problems --

Customer Question

2006 dodge grand caravan has multiple electrical problems -- no a/c, power door locks, and rear wipers, but lights, front wipers, power doors all work.   Seems very random - any suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 7 years ago.
if the door locks, and the climate contro ,air compresor and wipers, are inoperable its a posible body computer problem,because they are all control by the body computer. what you need to do for know is disconect the battery wait 1 minute and reconect see if problem continues. do you have a service contrac on your vehicle ? how many miles does it has.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The caravan has 44000 miles and I do not have a service contract.

While away from home, the connector between pos battery terminal and alternator corroded and cracked apart. I jumped the car direct to altenator and drove home (100 miles).

I cleaned the area and replaced the connection. Charged the battery and car starts fine. When I noticed all the features not working -- I disconnected battery, waited, reconnected and problems still persist.

Additionally the ABS light and Brake light come on and stay on the dash after starting. The front wipers work (rear do not). Power windows, doors work, lights work, radio works. Display computer/temp/direction does not work but power link buttons do. The blower fan works but not the a/c. Also interior lights do not work.

All the fuses looked ok but not sure about the relays. Any help would be great.

ok the abs and brake ligth has nothing to do with this problem its just on because lost power and now it has to be errase with a scaner and retested for codes its somenthing you can not do with the battery disconect . and as to the others has to do with the body computer because the interior ligths are control directly by the body computer, also the a/c compresorCOURTESY LAMP CONTROL
The body controller has direct control over all of the vehicle's courtesy lamps. The body computer will illuminate the courtesy lamps under any of the following conditions:
  1. Any door ajar and courtesy lamp switch on the headlamp switch is not in the dome off position.
  2. The courtesy lamp switch on the headlamp switch is in the dome on position.
  3. A Remote Keyless Entry unlock message is received.
  4. Driver door unlocked with key (with VTSS only).

Illuminated entry will be initiated when the customer enters the vehicle by unlocking the doors with the key fob, or with the key if the vehicle is equipped with vehicle theft alarm. Upon exiting the vehicle, if the lock button is pressed with a door open, illuminated entry will cancel when the door closes. If the doors are closed and the ignition switch is turned on, the illuminated entry also cancels. The illuminated entry feature will not operate if the courtesy lamp switch is in the dome off position.

If any of the interior lamps are left on after the ignition is turned off, the BCM will turn them off after 8 minutes . To return to normal operation, the courtesy lamps will operate after the dome lamp switch or door ajar switch changes state. The glove box and switched reading lamps require that the ignition be turned to the on/acc position.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

you lost me. not sure what more info you want.

I think I understand

1) to reset ABS and brake lights on the dash I have to go to repair shop and have them erased with a scanner?

2) THe body computer or controller (BCM) controls the other features not working -- interior lights, rear wipers, a/c, power door locks, etc..

Of course I still dont get whey some features work (like power doors, windows, radio, lights, front wipers)

So do you think the BCM is bad?? what do I do to reset it??

well you can reset it by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting again after minute . but i really needed you to have the computer scan for codes. before you erase them by disconnecting the battery. you can go to a repair shop that has a scanner and have them retract all the codes write them down and let me know what they are, this way if it comes back with the same problem we will know what it is by the codes.on memory.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I had the computer scanned with the OBD II and it came back no codes. I tried disconnecting battery and nothing was reset.

stuff still doesnt work (a/c, power door locks - but oddly the power door lock on the rear hatch works, interior lights, etc..)

and the ABS and Brake lights continue to come on 5-30 seconds after car starts and they stay on.

ANy other thoughts?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You're going to have to get the van on a real scan tool, a code reader isn't going to help you with this. A code reader will only give you engine related codes, there can be up to 20 other modules on your van.

You've got some definite issues with the body controller and most likely with the abs module, possibly others. At no time can you run the engine with the battery cables disconnected. The battery acts as a reservoir to smooth out the highs and lows of the charging system and basically absorbs voltage spikes. Running the van without the battery hooked up can cause the charging voltage to possibly get near the high 50 volt range, something that will take out electronic modules very quickly. At this point I would say if all fuses are ok you're going to need a body controller and possibly an abs module at the least.