Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience
14297198

I replace an alternator on a 2001 Grand Caravan with a 3.8 liter V6?

How do I replace an alternator on a 2001 Grand Caravan with a 3.8 liter V6?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Josh replied 5 years ago.
Hello, they're a little tricky since you have to get underneith the vehicle for several of the steps, but you should be able to handle it. Here's the procedure and diagrams from the chrysler service manual.

1. Release hood latch and open hood.
  2. Disconnect battery negative cable.
  3. Disconnect the push-in field wire connector from back of generator.
  4. Remove nut holding B+ wire terminal to back of generator.
  5. Separate B+ terminal from generator.
  6. Raise vehicle and support.
  7. Remove the right front lower splash shield.(just held in with push pins that should pull out relatively easily)
  8. Remove accessory drive belt(you'll have to do this from below most likely, the tensioner has a square drive hole for a ratchet)
  9. Remove the lower oil dip stick tube bolt .
  10. Remove wiring harness from the oil dip stick tube
  11. Remove the 3 mounting bolts.
  12. Lower vehicle.
  13. Remove oil dip stick tube from vehicle.
  14. Roll and remove the generator from vehicle
Installation:

Service Information
  1. Roll and place generator in position on vehicle.
  2. Install upper bolts to hold generator in place.
  3. Lubricate the o-ring. Install oil dip stick tube.
  4. Install the upper oil dip stick tube bolt.
  5. Place B+ terminal in position on generator.
  6. Install nut to hold B+ wire terminal to back of generator.
  7. Connect the push-in field wire connector into back of generator.
  8. Raise vehicle and support.
  9. Install the lower mounting bolt and tighten.
  10. Install the lower oil dip stick tube bolt and tighten.
  11. Install accessory drive belt, refer to the Cooling System section for proper procedures.
  12. Install the right front lower splash shield.
  13. Lower vehicle.
  14. Install wiring harness to the oil dip stick tube
  15. Connect battery negative cable.
  16. Verify generator output rate.
graphic
graphic

Unfortunately there aren't any better images available, but it's pretty straight forward once you get in and look at it.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience