Scott
Scott, ASE Master Certified Technician
Experience:  L1 Drivability Certified, Chrysler Master, 25+ Years Dodge Experience
12850945

On a 2005 dodge neon 4 cyl.

on a 2005 dodge neon 4 cyl. no spark to coil or any current to coil before would start but stop
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
What have you checked or tried so far?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok someone had put an alarm on so i took the alarm out got the car to crank its getting fuel but no spark.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.

Ok. the next thing to check is the asd relay (auto shut down). The power to the coil comes from this relay. You need to see if your getting power to the relay and out of the relay.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i switched the relay earlier still nothing no power

Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
Is there power to the relay? Out of the relay?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no the car did start but shut off real fast wont idle for nothing now no power
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
There is a fuse also in the circuit are all the fuses good?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes all fuses are good and have power could it be cam or crank sensors or what else controls spark on the neon?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
The sensors control the ground side of the system and you stated your not getting power so the next place to go is to the ignition switch and see if your getting power out of the switch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yellow wire yes red yes and blue yesthe black and yellow is on when i turn on the headlights

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is there a fusible link or a electrical problen with this neon model

Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
My diagrams are not very good on this model. I will send this to another expert as maybe they have better ones.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Lets start over..

You had an alarm system installed.. did the car run before/after the alarm was installed.. why did you remove the alarm?

How are you testing for spark?

How are you checking power at the relay?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the ran for several months after the alarm the car was hit on passenger side door and has not run since then im testing for spark by cranking the car and some poor soul holding the wir close to valve cover for ground testing relay with a regular test light the car had a bad wire from ignition to starter the yellow wire cut from under dash and replaced with another going to starter or did that wire control more?

Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Ok.. that clears up several things.. the yellow wire is just a reference wire for the starter to start and everyone ties into it for any alarm.
Using the diagram from Jeff, you have located the ASD or auto shut down relay, correct?

Using this diagram as reference.. locate the fuse 21. Check for power on the pins at the relay supplied by this fuse. If you have power, then we need to check something else.. If you don't trace this back to the fuse and make sure it is ok. If fuse has no power into it, let me know..

Also, has anyone checked this car for any faults for you? ie check engine light on? ..

Do something for me as well.. cycle the key on (engine off), off, on, off, on.. leaving it in the run position last.. the check engine light should pulse out or flash and depending on model, where the mileage shows up in the dash, some numbers may show up. write all of these down and report back to me... on the flashing of the light, count flashes and write down all numbers.. the light will pulse and pause between numbers. If you loose count, you can start the car (or attempt) and then repeat the on, off cycle again..(key on 3 times)

Let me know what you find

Scott

graphic

Scott, ASE Master Certified Technician
Experience: L1 Drivability Certified, Chrysler Master, 25+ Years Dodge Experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok let me check this out and ill let you know ill hold this email and if i can fix ill accept if not i talk more to you thanx daniel