sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2002 durango: driver front axle shaft..prying..front differential

Trying to replacethe driver front axle shaft on 2002 durango. When prying out on differential side, the differential portion has slide out? Do I have to open the front differential?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You're in luck, you don't have to open the differential. Those stub shafts go in and engage the side gears in the differential carrier on one end, and obviously the axle shaft on the other. The stub shaft locks into the side gear with a clip much the same as the clips that hold the cv shaft to the stub shafts. All you'll have to do is get the stub shaft removed from the CV shaft, and pop the stub shaft back into the differential.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist