Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.

MY 1999 DODGE NEON WONT START. YESTERDAY, AS I WAS STARTING

Customer Question

MY 1999 DODGE NEON WON'T START. YESTERDAY, AS I WAS STARTING THE CAR, IT RAN FOR A MINUTE, THEN JUST DIED. I TRIED TO START IT, IT HAS POWER, TRIES TO START, BUT WON'T CATCH. IT BLOWS OUT THE FUSE #10. I REPLACED THE FUSE, TRIED TO RE-START THE CAR, AND THE SAME RESULTS, DIDN'T START, AND BLEW OUT FUSE #10.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer.

That fuse supplies power to the ABS controller, torque converter clutch solenoid, PCM, radiator fan relay, fuel pump relay, A/C compressor clutch.

You can disconnect all of these one at a time to find the problem. I would recommend that you get an automatic or self resetting circuit breaker and install in place of the fuse for the diagnostics. This will keep you from buying a lot of fuses. There is also another diagnostic benefits from using a breaker. The wire going to the bad circuit will normally get just a tad bit warm. This often will help to locate the shorted device. Now you have to do it with caution but the higher amperage breaker you ues the warmer the shorted circuit wire will get, warm is OK, hot is not. Hot will damage things, and risks a fire. I would not use a breaker that in excess of 50% over the fuses rated capacity for the circuit for the diagnostics. Remember you have to monitor it carefully if you use this method, and don't let the wires get hot. If you unhook all of these devices and the fuse still blows, the problem is in the wiring. If the problem is in the wiring then there is an inexpensive tool that will help you find the short, I will include a link below. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Link For Tool

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

SO I NEED TO PURCHASE A BREAKER THAT HAS 30 AMPS OR LESS SINCE MY FUSE IS FOR 15 AMPS. THIS WILL PREVENT THE BLOWN FUSE, AND I NEED TO FIND THE BAD CIRCUIT WHILE IT IS WARM, AND BEFORE IT GETS HOT. IF IT GETS HOT, I NEED TO STOP, COOL IT, AND BEGIN AGAIN?

WHEN I FIND THE SHORTED DEVICE, SUCH AS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY, IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.

WE USUALLY HAVE IT DONE PROFESSIONALLY, BUT I NO LONGER HAVE MY INCOME. IT SEEMS WHEN OUR MECHANIC DIAGNOSIS A PROBLEM AND WE REPLACE A SENSOR, OR SOMETHING, THEN HE PUTS IT BACK ON THE DIAGNOSTICS MACHINE, AND ALWAYS FINDS SOMETHING ELSE THAT HAS TO BE REPLACE AS WELL, BECAUSE THE MACHINE COULDN'T FIND IT THE FIRST TIME. IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE FAULTY , SUCH AS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY, AND THE ABS CONTROLLER? IF THE PROBLEM IS IN THE WIRING, WILL I BE ABLE TO FIX IT MYSELF? MY HUSBAND GAVE SOMEONE A JUMP THE OTHER DAY, AND HE THOUGHT THAT HE FELT SOMETHING, MAYBE A SURGE, THAT JUST DIDN'T SEEM "RIGHT" , BUT IT RAN FOR TWO MORE DAYS. THANK YOU FOR SUCH CLEAR ANSWERS, THIS SITE IS GREAT FOR WOMEN!

I would use a 20 or 25 amp breaker 30 is a bit stout. If you use this method pull the fuse panel, so that you can see which wire is getting warm. Look at the color code, the different systems will use different color wires. This will help to track which system as shorting out. You should get a schematic, it will show you which system the wire goes to. Get on the net and type in "1999 Dodge Neon schematic" and you should get several hits. Mitchell on line is an online repair manual, with schematics. I highly recommend their service. Remember if you let the wires get hot it is dangerous. You can let them get warm without any harm.

Most likely there will only be one problem it would be very unusual to find any more. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.