sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 dodge neon transmission slips after stops or when sifting

2000 dodge neon transmission slips after stops or when sifting into reverse, usually when car warms up much more likely to slip (and will slip/jerk int gear harder) after hard stops (decellerations) What could be causing this?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Have you checked the fluid level and condition?

Does this happen more when it's hot?

Do you get any whining noise from the trans?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply. No whining sound. It does appear to come on more so in the summer heat; I'll check the other items and gwet back with you tomorrow.

Sounds great!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dang! I was too obstinate to consider that the tranny fluid was low. I checked it and it doesn't even register on the dipstick (not me; the other one!) I took it into a local shop for a flush and fill, and to have it checked for leaks. I'll let you know how it goes. Man! I put a lot a couple of hundred miles on the car in this co0ndition; I hope the tranny is okay. There was never any leaks -no spotting on the ground underneath the transmission, where the car has been parked. I had a junkyard engine put in, last winter. Maybe there is an output seal issue and the tranny fluid is going through the engine (?) Aside from the possibility that the tranny fluid was lost during the engine swap and never replaced, I don't know what else may have occured.

Great! Let me know if you have any more trouble with it!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Doug,

I appreciate your help. If nothing else is wrong, its worth the price to such a dunderhead as myself, to be told to check his fluid levels! -about the same price as a Haynes manual, which doesn't include having someone read it to me!

Good luck!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got the car out of the shop; gave them $80.00 for a flush and fill, and (hopefully) a new filter. They're good boys and can use the money. The car is running fine now; no symptoms, just smootheness from the transmission. In parting, what advice or other info can you offer about the life expectancy of these trannys (3-sp auto) and their care and maintenance? (Thanks)
The three speed was a pretty solid unit. Basically just keep up on the maintenance, get it flushed or drop the pan every 30,000 miles. The one thing that was sort of common was the governor hanging up and it would stick in a low gear. That wasn't a major repair either. As long as you take care of it you should get plenty of miles out of this trans, they would normally last the life of the vehicle with proper care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks again and best wishes.

Sorry for the delay, I was on the road.

You're welcome, and good luck with it. Let me know if you need anything else!