Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Certified in A/C, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, and Driveablity (NVH)

Are so may 1979 Dodge camper vans for sale because they are

Are so may 1979 Dodge camper vans for sale because they are bad or good (still running)?

HelloCustomer I believe it all depends on the area you live in. I live in ohio, and as usual we even have a 1980 camper van for sale. Amazingly, everything works except for the factory air assist. I think they were fairly well built especially if it was lucky enough to have a mopar 440. Gas mileage is not the greatest but as you can tell they last forever. The only downside to them is that not many people took care of the interiors. That is the other side of the story. Many of the headliners are falling in and water leaks were never taken care of.

BUT>>> If you get lucky enough to get one with a good interior or a good shell to start with and runs, then I think you are doing pretty good.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX live in British Columbia, Canada and out of all the trucks converted to camper vans for sale, the majority are 1979 one ton extended dodge vans with a 318 or 360 motor. If there was 125,000 miles (200,000 km), no rust, proper maintenance and a good interior on a 79 extended one ton....would there still be life and no killer repair bills or hard to get parts? In other words was 79 a good year?

Yes. I personally own an 81 1500 with a 360 and 190,000+ mi. and the best part about them is that even if anything breaks, I always seem to find the parts I need on ebay. I would say that there is plenty of life left in a rust free -WELL MAINTAINED- Dodge from 79'. But As I pointed out - Make sure it is very well maintained - Oil changes, differential oil changes - trans filter replacement, undercoating. I would say if you can keep these up from year to year and keep your fuel system clean especially then you will have a fun reliable vehicle with little to no repairs if you are automotive savvy.

If you have any other questions just let me know!

*Dont forget to hit "accept" if this answer fulfilled your question*