Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

dodge ram 1500: erratic with no codes or check lights coming on

Customer Question

what makes a dodge ram1500 idle erratic with no codes or check lights coming on
Submitted: 5 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

The first thing I would do before getting into scan data would be to take the idle motor off the throttle body and clean it AND the inside of the throttle body with carb cleaner and see if that fixes it. Keep me posted.

Thanks for your question and positive feedback,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
done that and the same
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have access to a scan tool, it should be hooked up to the computer and set to record. Drive the truck, and when it acts up, hit the RECORD button. This will record all the PID events from 30 seconds prior to 30 seconds after you hit the button. Now back home to review the data and see what happened when it stalled.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so in other words take it to a real technician and quit talking to you guys
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.
OPTED OUT
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

You might have an air or a vacuum leak. This is very common! Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running.
Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.
If it is hard to pinpoint take some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!

Also, your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. This is very common on older cars. The IAC motor gets lazy and cant keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, I rec to check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

Check for the following conditions:

Poor connection at PCM or IAC motor. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
Restricted air intake system. Check for a possible collapsed air intake duct, restricted air filter element, or foreign objects blocking the air intake system.
Throttle body. Check for objects blocking the IAC passage or throttle bore, excessive deposits in the IAC passage and on the IAC pintle, and excessive deposits in the throttle bore and on the throttle plate. Check for a sticking throttle plate. Also inspect the IAC passage for deposits or objects which will not allow the IAC pintle to fully extend.
Vacuum leak. Check for a condition that causes a vacuum leak, such as disconnected or damaged hoses, leaks at EGR valve and EGR pipe to intake manifold, leaks at throttle body, faulty or incorrectly installed PCV valve, leaks at intake manifold brake booster hose disconnected, oil filler cap, oil level indicator loose or missing, etc..

Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
turns out that it is the throttle positioning sensor (tps) operating in a range enough to effect the truck but not enough send a signal to the PCM that anything is wrong. Although the IAC and throttle body had been cleaned and inspected I probably will replace the IAC just for P.M. any other suggestions
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

So are you saying that it is fixed?