Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

Hello, I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber and my air conditioning

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber and my air conditioning recently started acting up. I live in the Bahamas but will be in Ft. Lauderdale, Plantation area this weekend so would like to order it and have it sent to my hotel if possible.

What is happening is when I turn on my a/c on full blast it works for about 1 minute and then stops blowing air, if it is on the lower settings nothing comes out of the vents. Do you know what part I need to order and where I can order it from to have it shipped by Saturday? The air that comes out when it does blow is cool and my car is not overheating.

Thanks
Lillith XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.

The problem you describe sounds like an evaporator that is freezing up. Do you notice a large puddle of clear water (lager than normal) after you shut the car off?

Also does the blower fan stop working or can you hear it working and not air is coming out of the vents?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't noticed any water under the car but to be honest I haven't looked for any either, and no once the air stops coming out of the vents I don't hear the blower anymore.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.

Ok, trying to see whether or not the airflow stopped because of a clogged evaporator or a blower motor that is not operating.

Does the blower motor stop working in any other settings and temperatures (heat, defrost, etc.)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can check, I would have to run out to the car to double check though it will take a minute, but where I am in the Bahamas and it is soo hot :-) the only thing I have been using is the a/c and the first time it started happening was this weekend so haven't used the heater or defrost.

I did notice though that sometimes when it is on full blast it will not stop blowing completely all the time - sometimes it will blow just a little bit almost like it is on the lower setting and when it does that it does make a funny noise, also when it does that if I do change it to the lower setting then at no air comes out of the vents.

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok, try and see if there are certain speeds that it works and certain speeds that it doesn't.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok just finished checking and no the defrost doesn't blow either
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.

I hate to send you back and forth outside to the car. You must have missed my last reply. I need to know if it blows at any speed regardless of what setting it is on. You can just put it on vent or heat, doesn't matter what temperature, and try and listen for each speed. The blower motor is located on the lower part of the passenger side of the dash below the glovebox.

Pay attention to the sound as well. See if it sounds like a growling noise or maybe even a basecal card in bicycle spokes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok that I can answer without going outside - no it doesn't blow at any speed, it will only blow at the highest speed and even sometimes at that speed it doesn't always blow - it will start blowing and then fizzle down to a low blow, like if it was only set to the lowest speed and when I turn it to the lower speeds (any past 4 and the setting are 1 -4) it doesn't blow at all. It does make a funny noise kind of like the baseball card in the bicycle spokes when it is at the highest blower but not putting out the full blowing power. When I drop it to the lower speeds I don't hear any sound at all.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.

Ok, these cars have a history of getting leaves and debris stuck in them to where the motor can not turn and the card in spoke sound is the debris stuck in the box around the blower motor. The fix will be to remove the blower motor and get the debris out. The long term fix is to install a screen that will keep it from happening again. Your vehicle may be under warranty still, so the long term repair would be covered. For now you could remove the blower motor and clear out the debris to see if that fixes your problem. I will paste the service bulletin and directions below:

SUBJECT:

Noisy Blower Motor Due To Debris Ingestion

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves installing a screen to the recirculation door.

MODELS:

2007 (PM) Caliber

2007 (MK49) Compass

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to September 6, 2006 (MDH

0906XX) without sales code JMA.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The vehicle operator may notice an objectionable sound from the glove box area when

blower motor is on.

DIAGNOSIS:

Operate the blower motor at a medium speed with windows closed. If the objectionable

sound can be detected perform Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

(1) 68027846AA Screen, Recirculation Door - Right Hand

Drive

(1) 68027841AA Screen, Recirculation Door - Left Hand Drive

AR 05019057AA Sticky Back Open Cell Foam Tape

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2. If equipped, remove the silencer from below the passenger side of the instrument

panel.

NUMBER: 24-007-06

GROUP: Heating & A/C

DATE: November 11, 2006

NOTE: The blower motor is located on the bottom of the passenger side of the

HVAC housing. The blower motor can be removed from the vehicle without

having to remove the HVAC housing.

3. From underneath the instrument panel, disengage the connector lock and disconnect

the instrument panel wire harness connector from the blower motor (2).

4. Remove the three screws that secure the blower motor and the wire lead bracket (if

equipped) to the bottom of the HVAC housing and remove the blower motor (Fig. 1).

Fig. 1 BLOWER MOTOR

1 - Wire Harness Connector

2 - Blower Motor

3 - Mounting Screws

4 - Wire Lead Bracket

5 - HVAC Housing

NOTE: LHD model shown. RHD model similar.

5. Clean any debris out of the blower motor. It may be necessary to use shop air to blow

it out of the blower motor.

6. Install the blower motor by positioning the blower motor onto the bottom of the HVAC

housing.

7. Install the three screws that secure the blower motor and the wire lead bracket (if

equipped) to the HVAC housing. Tighten the screws to 1.2 N·m (10 in. lbs.).

8. Connect the instrument panel wire harness connector to the blower motor and engage

the connector lock.

9. If equipped, install the silencer below the passenger side of the instrument panel.

10. Open the glove box and carefully use fingers to press inward on the glove box open

stops at the top of the bin, to allow the glove box to rotate down toward the carpet.

11. Rotate the box down and release the door hinges at the bottom and remove the glove

box.

24-007-06 -2-

12. Disengage the two retaining tabs that secure the particulate air filter cover to the

passenger side of the HVAC housing and remove the cover (Fig. 2).

NOTE: There will not be a particulate air filter installed on the vehicle.

NOTE: LHD model shown in illustrations. RHD model similar.

Fig. 2 Particulate Air Filter Cover-R And I

1 - Retaining Tabs

2 - Air Filter Cover

3 - HVAC housing

13. Is the vehicle a Caliber (PM)?

a. YES - Refer to Step #17

b. No - Refer to Step #14

14. Install a recirculation door screen (p/n 68027846AA or 68027841AA) onto the

recirculation door opening. Engage screen into all four mount holes (Fig. 3).

-3- 24-007-06

Fig. 3 RECIRCULATION SCREEN LOCATION

1 - Compass and Caliber Mount Locations

2 - Compass Mount Locations

15. Position the particulate air filter cover to the HVAC housing and engage the two

retaining tabs that secure the cover to the housing. Make sure the retaining tabs are

fully engaged (Fig. 2).

16. Install the glove box. Repair Complete.

17. Cut the top two tabs off of the recirculation door screen (Fig. 4).

24-007-06 -4-

Fig. 4 RECIRCULATION SCREEN

1 -Top Mount Tabs

2 - Foam Tape Location

3 -Bottom Mount Tabs

18. Install a piece of foam tape (p/n 05019057AA) to the recirculation door screen all along

the top header (Fig. 4).

19. Slide the recirculation door screen (p/n 68027846AA or 68027841AA) above the

particulate air filter cover opening and onto the recirculation door opening. Engage

screen into two bottom mount holes only (Fig. 3) and (Fig. 4).

20. Position the particulate air filter cover to the HVAC housing and engage the two

fully engaged (Fig. 2).

21. Install the glove box.

POLICY:

Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: Description Amount

24-65-31-95 Clean Blower Motor and Install

Recirculation Door Screen (B)

0.3 Hrs.

MK Vehicles

24-65-31-96 Clean Blower Motor and Modify

and Install Recirculation Door

Screen (B)

0.4 Hrs.

PM Vehicles

FAILURE CODE:

ZZ Service Action

-5- 24-007-06

Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience: Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor