1dodgewrench
1dodgewrench, Dodge Technician
Experience:  20+ years Dodge Dealer experience, ASE Master Certified and Viper Certified & Diesel Certified
18040430

I have a 95 intrepid with a 3.5 motor I need to put a water

Customer Question

I have a 95 intrepid with a 3.5 motor I need to put a water pump on it were is the water pump located.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  1dodgewrench replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.

This water pump is under the covers on the front of the motor and is run by the timing belt, which must be removed to replace the waterpump... How comfortable are you in working into a timing belt, I can get you the steps and some diagrams if you think you would like to attempt the repair. If you are not comfortable working with the timing belt it would be time to talk to some friends about a reputable shop or technician on your area for this repair. Again if you are comfortable trying it just let me know and I will get you some data on this repair.

I look forward to your replies!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would anthing you cangive me. thanks

No problem, I will start getting some stuff together and repost in a little bit.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU
  1. Drain cooling system. Refer to Draining Cooling System in this group.
  2. The water pump is driven by the timing belt. Refer to Timing Belt System Service , for component removal to provide access to water pump.
  3. Remove mounting bolts.
  4. Remove pump body from engine

INSTALLATION

1. Clean all O-ring surfaces on pump and cover.
  2. Install new O-ring on water pump Wet the O-ring with water to facilitate assembly

CAUTION: Keep the O-ring free of oil or grease.

3. Install pump to housing mounting bolts and tighten to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
  4. Refer to Timing System for timing belt installation procedure Fill cooling system. Refer to Refilling Cooling System

TIMING BELT SERVICE

Mark belt running direction if belt is to be reused.

1. Align the camshaft sprockets with marks on rear covers before timing belt removal
  2. Remove the timing belt tensioner and remove timing belt.

TIMING BELT TENSIONER

3. When tensioner is removed from the engine it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body.
  4. Place the tensioner into a vise and slowly compress the plunger

CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.

5. When plunger is compressed into the tensioner body install a pin through the body and plunger to retain plunger in place until tensioner is installed.

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: This procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets have not been loosened or removed from the camshafts.

1. Align the crankshaft sprocket with the TDC mark on oil pump cover Align the camshaft sprockets between the marks on the covers Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft sprocket going in a counterclockwise direction After the belt is installed on the right sprocket keep tension on the belt until it is past the tensioner pulley.
  2. Holding the tensioner pulley against the belt, Install the tensioner into the housing and tighten to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)
  3. When tensioner is in place pull retaining pin to allow the tensioner to extend to the pulley bracket.
  4. Rotate crankshaft sprocket 2 revolutions and check the timing marks on the camshafts and crankshaft. The marks should line up within their respective locations If marks do not line up repeat procedure.
  5. PICS WILL Follow in the next post, only accept both if you feel I helped you with both, please dont feel obligated but if I post in an info I will get in trouble but dont want you to think I am trying to string you out for more money.

THANKS!

graphicgraphic
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic