BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

2001 Dodge: Ram Van..Van 1500..cam position sensor..the crank position

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Van 1500. It has code 320 and 340 I put in a new cam position sensor. I have not replaced the crank position as of yet. I have a crank no start situation. I have fuel and spark could it be the crank position sensor.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
Greetings,

The only way to test it is with a labscope, but on Chrysler products I would say it is the crank position sensor. When did you replace the cam sensor? Did you clear the codes after replacing it? Try wiggling the wiring to the crank sensor to see if it helps at all. Inspect the tone ring at the sensor.

let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,
Bob

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just replaced the cam sensor today cleared the codes and upon trying to start the vehicle then I got the crank position code
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
Yeah I would say the crank sensor is your problem now. Just double check all the wiring to the crank sensor and make sure it is plugged in good and no broken wires.

let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,
Bob

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That did not work. Could it be the Throttle position sensor
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
What is the fuel pressur? How are you testing the spark?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have 45psi fuel pressure and checking spark with a tester
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a labscope to check the sensors?

Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a matco scanner but cannot get the van started to watch what the values of the sensors are. I do bot have a labscope
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
What size motor is this?

Bob

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
5.2
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
The only other things that I can see on this vehicle is a pcm, which I would not condemn over the internet, and a plugged exhaust. If you want do this test.

1. Remove one or more spark plugs and ground the spark plug wires. Crank the engine over and see if it will start and run. If it does, then the exhaust system is restricted.

2. Verify good spark from each coil pack. Using two spark testers, adjust the gap to 1/4 inch on both testers at the same time. For example, remove the number one and number four spark plug wires from the spark plugs. Install the spark testers on each spark plug wire. Crank the engine over and make sure both testers are sparking White-Blue spark. If not, then there is weak spark. Test each coil the same. Cylinders two and five share the same coil. Cylinders three and six share another coil.

3. Disable the fuel supply on the vehicle and see if it will run on an alternate fuel source. If it will, there is a problem with the fuel system.

Bob